Speidel Braumeister (brewmaster)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should the pump always be running when the pump light is on? I went to clean the unit with PBW and started the default mash schedule with the unit full of water and it quit running the pump prior to the first mash schedule. It seems to have never restarted after the initial pump break. Understand it will stop periodically but I let it sit with the temperature rising and it never kicked back on.

I took the pump off and insured there were no blockages - clean as expected. Plugged it back in and turned it on and it appears to be working again. Any words of wisdom for me or should I be worried? Last thing I want is to be mid mash tomorrow and have a problem!

I believe I have a problem. The pump problem continues and I captured a video of what it's 'not' doing. Excuse the roughness of this but wanted to get it out there quickly to gather the expert advice from the SB crew.

Any thoughts on what's going on here and am I missing something obvious here? Really hoping you can help me solve this as I REALLY want to brew with this thing tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mako, have you checked your leads and cables are all secure? Particularly from controller to pump. Looks like the computer is working okay ...just not getting signals to your pump.
Did you prime (or "ventilate") the pump before running the schedule?
...just thinking out loud really. I hope you work it out. Good luck!

Mako, have you checked your leads and cables are all secure? Particularly from controller to pump. Looks like the computer is working okay ...just not getting signals to your pump.
Did you prime (or "ventilate") the pump before running the schedule?
...just thinking out loud really. I hope you work it out. Good luck!

Yes. Both times I've started the cycle the pump initially starts but has stopped sometime either prior to or during the first phase. That was part of the reason I felt the pump in the video (then realizing that wouldn't tell me anything) as I thought it might be overheating.

Tired this morning with a bad case of SB worry driven insomnia it seems.

Could it be possible that this is normal response when there is no grain 'back pressure'?

Can someone post there voltage they are reading to their units? Might be able to baseline on that.

Not sure what to do from here - don't want to waste the ingredients on something that doest appear to be working correctly. I'll try and capture the moment it shuts off on camera today if nobody has any other suggestions. Not sure that will help but can use it for my discussion with Morebeer if needed.

Tired this morning with a bad case of SB worry driven insomnia it seems.

Could it be possible that this is normal response when there is no grain 'back pressure'?

Can someone post there voltage they are reading to their units? Might be able to baseline on that.

Not sure what to do from here - don't want to waste the ingredients on something that doest appear to be working correctly. I'll try and capture the moment it shuts off on camera today if nobody has any other suggestions. Not sure that will help but can use it for my discussion with Morebeer if needed.

I wish I could help with your pump issue but I have no idea. Your thoughts on the back pressure and grain seem logical. Have you tried it in manual mode? If not, see if it will run indefinitely in manual mode. If that doesn't work, PM me and I will give you the cell number to my guy in south Florida.

I wish I could help with your pump issue but I have no idea. Your thoughts on the back pressure and grain seem logical. Have you tried it in manual mode? If not, see if it will run indefinitely in manual mode. If that doesn't work, PM me and I will give you the cell number to my guy in south Florida.

What's the manual mode to just turn on the pump? I dug through the manual and couldn't find it anywhere, but remember where others had said that previously. Just got back to the house and will be working on the problem to try and figure this out.

Good to see you figured the wiring out. Unfortunately I don't have any shots showing how I did it. I should have thought of that before I buttoned it up.

Your pump issue definitely doesn't look right. I have noticed the pump cuts out around 85C and the display shows a (P). I looked and couldn't find anything in the documentation on that. But then there's much to be desired in the documentation. Makes me think we need to start a BM wiki to properly document all this stuff.

I would give MoreBeer a shout and work it out. Sounds like a bad connection or a bunk pump.

-Chris

Chris - definitely something wrong and seems to have to do with temperature. I can run the pump in manual mode for 45 min without issue as long as I don't ramp my temp up above 40c. Once I get in that range it eventually shuts off, even though the light is lit and won't restart until the unit is cooled.

How do I know this? Well, I tried my wheat after running it manual mode and thinking the issue was resolved. Shut off when I hit ~53c and resulted in one of the longest and most disastrous brew days I've had. Just now got the now crowned 'Macgyver Wheat' in the carboy. Ended up semi batch sparging this batch without a pump. Temperature was running high most of the time and spiked up to 85c at the end of the mash out, even though it was set to 76c - no idea how that happened. With the pump not running, maybe the heating was out of whack from the temp probe. I didn't give up on it though and wrangled that sucker through the broken process. Refractometer didn't even come out during this brew as it will be what it will be - definitely not anything I will be able to duplicate through process. End result will be 'beer' and that's always better than trash and drain pour. I started video recording my brew and when it went south i quit as i had too much going on at that point. Morebeer will be getting a call tomorrow and hopefully they can make this right pronto as I need a feel good moment with the SB at this point...

Makomachine,
The 250v seems high, but I have not encountered any problems.
Hope this helps.

017.jpg

018.jpg

Thanks Redstag - appreciate your input as that at least rules out one factor.

I'm going a head and posting a video of the first brew session, prior to things going south once I realize the pump isn't working. Hopefully it's helpful to someone and if anything at least documents where I ran into the problem. Morebeer is getting a phone call in the next 30 minutes and will let you know what I find out.

Jason, I'm thinking it may be more than just the pump as you mentioned. However, that being said, the heat rising issue is probably due to the wort not circulating. So it could be as simple as a pump replacement. I'm sure your distributor will want to start there. Sorry you had such a problem.

Rob- I got in touch with Morebeer and they are going to work it back with Speidel. I expect a solid response as I've had nothing but excellent experience with Morebeer over all my purchases. Will post back once I get word on next steps.

All that said, I love the concept of this unit. We'll see how support is before I make judgements as I know that even with the tightest QC these things just happen sometimes. Taking a deep breath and we'll see where we end up.

Sorry for your predicament. I haven't read anywhere of this problem. The 250V is most likely not the issue. Most homes especially those that are close to a substation can easily get readings of 250V. If you put most of your major appliances on you would most likely see that reading drop to 240V. I'm thinking based on what you showed us that there is a temperature controller that controls the pump. As Chris said at 85C when you're in the boil phase, the pump shuts off and doesn't come on again. I don't think having grain in the pipe makes any difference. I have run the pump with no grain and with PBW to clean the system with just enough water to cover the spigot opening and also with a full pot and have had no problems. Your pump seems to shut down whether it's in auto mode or manual mode when the temperature rises. Also when the pump is stuck with grain it tends to make a pretty good clackety noise that you can't miss. Since the pump does run at low temperatures I would think the connections are O'K and the voltage is good but you could use your meter to check the voltage at the pump. Just my thoughts. Hope it helps with your troubleshooting with Speidel (Morebeer).

OK. I've done some more monitoring of the issue to try and narrow down the root cause to assist Morebeer / Speidel. It would appear that Rob is right and it's likely pump related given what I'm seeing in variation of cutoff/on time & temps. More importantly, there is a rattle I'm starting to notice in the pump that I don't believe was there previously. This could be me just noticing more - and it's definitely not as loud as Rob's was in his posting, but there is a 'ticking' that's noticeable. I've captured my findings and the sound in the below video. Kevin at Morebeer is working my issue but given the time difference, I'm not likely to hear anything back until tomorrow.

Sorry for being off topic, but I placed an order for a 20l two weeks ago with morebeer. I've called morebeer and they told me that because the item is drop shipped from Speidel, they have no way to track the package and give me any updates. Literally I'm in the dark about my order! It's an expensive item, not to have any clue what's going on with it. I've even contacted Speidel using the email links from theie website but have gotton no responses. Can anyone give me a suggestion or words of encouragment? I'm trying to be as patient as possible! :(

Sorry for your predicament. I haven't read anywhere of this problem. The 250V is most likely not the issue. Most homes especially those that are close to a substation can easily get readings of 250V. If you put most of your major appliances on you would most likely see that reading drop to 240V. I'm thinking based on what you showed us that there is a temperature controller that controls the pump. As Chris said at 85C when you're in the boil phase, the pump shuts off and doesn't come on again. I don't think having grain in the pipe makes any difference. I have run the pump with no grain and with PBW to clean the system with just enough water to cover the spigot opening and also with a full pot and have had no problems. Your pump seems to shut down whether it's in auto mode or manual mode when the temperature rises. Also when the pump is stuck with grain it tends to make a pretty good clackety noise that you can't miss. Since the pump does run at low temperatures I would think the connections are O'K and the voltage is good but you could use your meter to check the voltage at the pump. Just my thoughts. Hope it helps with your troubleshooting with Speidel (Morebeer).

Thanks for the input on the voltage. Ive done some base level outlet wiring but have never worked with 220 before. Makes complete sense to me though as i know standard home outlets can run a few volts high and when you double tha, the math makes sense.

Haven't tried measuring voltage as I didn't want to mess with the connections in any way prior to getting some feedback from the vendors. I'm keeping my hopes up that it's something simple that won't drive a multi-week wait on a part replacement. We'll see what they say tomorrow.

Sorry for being off topic, but I placed an order for a 20l two weeks ago with morebeer. I've called morebeer and they told me that because the item is drop shipped from Speidel, they have no way to track the package and give me any updates. Literally I'm in the dark about my order! It's an expensive item, not to have any clue what's going on with it. I've even contacted Speidel using the email links from theie website but have gotton no responses. Can anyone give me a suggestion or words of encouragment? I'm trying to be as patient as possible! :(

I heard the exact same thing from Morebeer myself when my 20L shipped. It took right at 3 weeks to arrive as they predicted. I find it odd as well on such an expensive item, but the delivery worked out. They charged me about a week later as I believe they don't hear back from Speidel right away on invoicing / shipment confirmation. When did you order?

@rlhvegas - My 20L arrived 3 weeks to the day I ordered it. It's a tough wait.

@makomachine - Hang in there. Once you get past this initial setback you should be golden. I've brewed more in the past 2 months than I did in the past year.

-Chris

makomachine said:
I heard the exact same thing from Morebeer myself when my 20L shipped. It took right at 3 weeks to arrive as they predicted. I find it odd as well on such an expensive item, but the delivery worked out. They charged me about a week later as I believe they don't hear back from Speidel right away on invoicing / shipment confirmation. When did you order?

I placed my order on 7/22.

Got some wonderful news when I awoke this morning! Ralf from Speidel sent an email to me that said my BM will ship tomorrow and arrive in 5-7 days! :ban::tank:

Makomachine, can you tell if the pump motor is running when it's actually not pumping. Rob needed to replace his impeller. He has a video of the sound which is louder than yours, but this may be how it started. My pump is whisper quiet when running except when there is a piece of grain stuck in it. rlhvegas, received my BM 3 weeks to the day of my order date. Got a call from US customs the day before it was delivered asking what the thermo collar was.

Makomachine, can you tell if the pump motor is running when it's actually not pumping. Rob needed to replace his impeller. He has a video of the sound which is louder than yours, but this may be how it started. My pump is whisper quiet when running except when there is a piece of grain stuck in it. rlhvegas, received my BM 3 weeks to the day of my order date. Got a call from US customs the day before it was delivered asking what the thermo collar was.

Forgot to mention that. I got the call on that as well.

No, the pump is definitely not running when it's not pumping. No call back from Morebeer thus far - sent an email but still waiting on a response.

Call them!! For the money spent, they should be calling you to tell you they have nothing to tell you. :mad:

I've called them and they are 'checking into it'. Kevin is out of the office but they said they'd get back to me. It appears they have one person who works with Speidel - which I find disturbing and told them so. Next call is to a manager if I don't get some satisfactory response on this...

I've called them and they are 'checking into it'. Kevin is out of the office but they said they'd get back to me. It appears they have one person who works with Speidel - which I find disturbing and told them so. Next call is to a manager if I don't get some satisfactory response on this...

I guess, in this economy, they think this kind of money spent is the same as someone buying a brewpot for the sale price of $59.99....

Sorry.....the reason I am willing to spend top dollar is to get top service. Some may say I am out of line but I feel getting an answer during the beginning of the work week isn't too much to ask for. With today's technology.....give me a break.

I'll step off my soap box now....:p

My point is, when someone spends $2k plus for a pot with two holes in the bottom, another with the bottom cut out and a simple brain box....they should be on the phone to Germany until they get an answer ....stat.

Agreed. I work in the customer service field and this is purely unacceptable. Ive done all the heavy lifting here and they should have had an answer on what was being done to remedy this morning. My first 'bad' experience with Morebeer to date and if they don't step on it, it's likely my last...

Hi,

My name is Thorsten Stein and I am a Distributor for Speidel. Mu Company is called MoreBeer4U and I have sold and serviced my Customers very well. If you need any Help, let me know. You can sent me an Email to [email protected] Thanks

Spoke with Thorsten at Morebeer4u and he's offered to call Speidel tomorrow morning to help out. Have to say he was EXTREMELY helpful for someone who didn't even get the original sale - Morebeer could learn something from his responsiveness given it's after 9PM his time. Will keep everyone informed.

Thorsten - thank you for your assistance!

No Problem! I try to help in any way I can. If you go to my Website you will see that I represent the Braumeister from Speidel and the Company itself. This is my only focus and this is why I need you guys happy ALL the time. I will be in touch with you tomorrow.

Thorsten called me bright and early this morning (~8:30 AM) and has things working with Speidel to get the impeller replaced as that appears to be the issue. With a defect on the impeller the pump will shut off after reaching a certain temperature - I believe when it reaches 60C pump temp. I've sent an e-mail to Ralf at Speidel with my contact info so we can get this working quickly.

I have to say, I'm COMPLETELY impressed with Thorsten's service and my eventual purchase of the copper hood will be with morebeer4u. I got phenomenal service even though I didn't purchase the unit through him. What did I get from Morebeer.com? I got, and I quote...

"the person that talks with Speidel is out until Thursday"

When I pressed that one person who works Mondays and Thursdays with a vendor is unacceptable support, I got...

"we have a manager that works with Speidel as well on the wine side of the business but he's too busy to help."

Still waiting on a reply on the issue from Morebeer.com...

Spend your hard earned dollars where you think they make sense!

I'm reserving judgement on the Braumeister as I know that no matter how tight your QC, these things just happen periodically. I'll update everyone as things progress.

Again, big thanks to Thorsten in getting the ball rolling on this issue!

Back