Speed Brewing.. did it work out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
The book was published in 2015 I think and there is a podcast I found the other day.

Has anybody here tried the recipes, were they good is it worth bothering with?
How good is the beer?

Atb. Aamcle

I haven't read the book but I think understanding conversion factors is helpful for designing a great beer that can be brewed FAST! My brew days, brew sessions and finish product can be pretty fast for some beers. I can brew a 12 gallon A/G batch from warm up to clean up in under 3 hours IF IM PUSHING IT. I can ferment in 48-60 hours to finish if I'm pushing it. Crash cool 36 hours and carb during transfer to keg. Drink immediately.
It's fun to push the envelope!

Cheers
Jay

I haven't tried any of the recipes in the book, but I think the methodology is questionable (in the BYO article, too). Don't mash too low, unless you want a thin beer. Use shed loads of active wet yeast (as apposed to dry yeast with up to a 48h or longer 'lag phase' expected) and don't bother aerating the wort well, as recommended, because you've pitched enough yeast to go straight to fermenting the wort to FG. No need to aerate/promote much cell growth at all. Nor is there any need to pitch a kveik, turbo or any other distiller's yeast strain and ferment at a relatively high temperature. Ferment close to the recommended upper temperature of the yeast you pitch, at most. If you've pitched enough healthy yeast fermentation should be done within 2-3 days. Unless it's your aim there's no reason to brew a piddly little beer either. I've had very good results up to around 1.050 and others claim up to 1.060. The biggest game changer has been the availability of affordable pressure capable FVs and reliable spunding valves, though. Conditioning can be finished by the end of fermentation by either fermenting under pressure or naturally carbing using the last several points of gravity. A good yeast choice is going to flocculate quickly to produce bright beer, especially if the temperature is dropped a tad. It's possible to get a very good beer into a glass within 5 days or so. It's not something I aim for generally, but it's a fun challenge to test your skills as a home brewer. So, yes, speed brewing does work. It's a little bit like brewing like a scaled down commercial brewer. I think my best so far has been a crisp, crystal clear Czech Pilsner (6.8% ABV) fermented with WLP800, which took about 2 weeks. I wouldn't bother comparing it with 2 day old funky kveik dishwater, to be honest. I don't think there'll be any comparison between said dishwater and a 5 day old English ale fermented with an English yeast strain.

Speed brewing? The greatest advantage we have in homebrewing over commercial brewers is that we don't need to rush things out. Just get a few cases of 24 while you wait for your beer to finish and mature.

There is a book (2015) titled Speed Brewing. The author of the book is not the author of the BYO article.

The book covers a number of fermentable beverages (mead, cider, ...) in addition to beer. It's generally a chapter per beverage type. What's unique about this book is that the chapters on beer use a 2-gal BIAB process and 1.75 gal kegs for packaging.

commenting in general, not to OP: In the book, the author defines what "speed brewing" means. If you don't like the definition, maybe find a different book?

There is a book (2015) titled Speed Brewing. The author of the book is not the author of the BYO article.

The book covers a number of fermentable beverages (mead, cider, ...) in addition to beer. It's generally a chapter per beverage type. What's unique about this book is that the chapters on beer use a 2-gal BIAB process and 1.75 gal kegs for packaging.

commenting in general, not to OP: In the book, the author defines what "speed brewing" means. If you don't like the definition, maybe find a different book?
Nope, I've got a wonky table that needs propping up. This book works fine.

Boy, Id love to see that. Not doubting you, I'm wondering why my days are so long.

I don't push it that fast all the time BUT it is nice being all electric and electric controlled with most of the transfer aspects of the brewery. I can have my water ready to go in the EHLT and set my timer for it to turn on whenever I want. I can have my grain crushed and ready to go. Get up at 6 AM with hot water ready and mash in. Iodine test after 15-20 min if good (NO MASH OUT) sparge for 30-40 min by the time Sparge is done I can already be boiling. Boil 15-20 min turn off EBK and start whirlpool hop additions. 15-30 min of that the MLT is clean HLT has rinse water HOT while HOPS whirlpool. Turn of plate and blast over to the Conical adding O2 and yeast along the way. Reverse flush the Plate with boiling water going into the BK quick scrub drain. Quick clean of tools and shut the brewery door.
Recipe design is critical and choosing the correct style is also a must. This would be a typical brew session for my Hazy. I have and do change it up all the time based on (mostly) whirlpool additions. But yes I can absolutely BLAST through a brew session if I plan it right. The BITCHEN thing is the way I designed my system YEARS AND YEARS ago is a NORMAL brew day with 60 min mash 60 min sparge and 60-90 min boil I can back to back batch and ONLY add about 2 hours to the normal day. Getting 24 gallons pushed through in about 6 1/2 to 7 hours. I love my brewery design! I use a float controlled grant and it is absolutely the magic in my system!

Cheers
Jay

Back