Speed Brew - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, to be fair, this particular glass was from a swingtop that I need to replace the gasket on. It foamed pretty heavily when I opened it, but the head died down in a hurry. I'm going to try one of my regularly capped bottles as a comparison, so the story isn't over yet.

As for your other suggestion, I may very well, try Cascade hops the next time I do something like this. I just wanted to keep hip additions as simple as possible for my first time doing something like this.

What day did you actually brew that on? I have pushed beers from grain to glass in 3 weeks with bottle conditioning and typically it is just a matter of picking the right styles.

Brewday was on 7/21 according to a previous post. I saw OP stated it finished at 1.015. Some are concerned that it could have gone down to 1.010. IMHO, even if it couldve and did, thats not gonna cause bottle bombs, actually it jus might help the carbonation. At over 1 week in the bottle, carbonation ahould be coming in nicely.

Yup, just a matter of style. In this case, it was a blonde. The key is a relatively low gravity.

So the verdict is in. I brought my speed brew to a BBQ last night, and it was the Belle of the Ball. I wasn't sure how it would be received until someone came up to me and asked, "Have you tried 'The Seven Day Itch' yet? It's amazing!" ('Seven Day Itch', btw, is what I called it.)

Very Impressive for sure that it came out decent. I know my beers seem to ferment quick as well and are carbonated enough to drink in a week but of course they are better in 2-3 weeks.

Have any of you tried to bottle while the beer was still fermenting? You would have to be spot on what your FG would be as well as how many volumes of co2 would be needed but I'm thinking you could essentially bottle near the end of fermentation and add little to no priming sugar. Should carb a bit quicker I would guess. Then you could cold crash the bottles after 1-2 weeks. Would have lots of yeast in the bottles but given the right pour into a glass you should be ok.

Very Impressive for sure that it came out decent. I know my beers seem to ferment quick as well and are carbonated enough to drink in a week but of course they are better in 2-3 weeks.

Have any of you tried to bottle while the beer was still fermenting? You would have to be spot on what your FG would be as well as how many volumes of co2 would be needed but I'm thinking you could essentially bottle near the end of fermentation and add little to no priming sugar. Should carb a bit quicker I would guess. Then you could cold crash the bottles after 1-2 weeks. Would have lots of yeast in the bottles but given the right pour into a glass you should be ok.

Personally that sounds like a horrible idea.

This idea should have a disclaimer regarding possible bodily harm or damage to property.

Agreed. This is an exceedingly bad idea - it would be virtually impossible to judge the bottling time correctly so as to avoid both bottle bombs, on the one hand, and flat beer, on the other. The bulk priming sugar method is reliable and well-tested, providing that you wait until the existing fermentation has run its course, have a suitable priming sugar calculation for the desired level of carbonation (most brewing software will do it for you), and are careful about sanitation.

If you really need to speed up the carbonation that badly, you should consider kegging rather than bottle conditioning. While it is expensive, especially if you then want to bottle after carbonating, it does avoid a lot of the issues and headaches inherent in bottling your entire batch. With a kegerator and force carb, you should be able to carbonate a kegged beer in less than 48 hours, at most - according to most people who speed brew, such as Brulosopher, a 24 hour cold crash followed by kegging and 24 hours @ 40 PSI is more than enough for most average gravity beers.

I mentioned that as an extreme case scenario. I did read and found many examples where it had been done before. Wouldn't be that hard if you brewed the same beer over and over with consistent results and knew where your FG would end up at. Just a matter of bottling a few points short to get desired volume of co2. I'm sure it can be done with a beer that is very repeatable, using the same yeast, etc. Going from grain to coming out of bottle could be a week and a half with the right process. In no way am I saying this is better or should be done. I'm just saying it definitely can be done.

Back