Specific PID TD4 controller help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowley

Reaction score
Hi
To be honest, this isn't for home brewing but you guys have the widest practical experience of using these in the domestic setting it seems, and I'd really appreciate your advice.
I am using a PID controller TD4 to create a tool that heats pieces of steel, from antique clocks, and blues them through tempering.
I have created the tool, however I can not get any output from the TD4 PID to the SSR, and ultimately the cartridge heater. The PID powers up, and shows the PV reading and SV reading, having set a temp of 240 degC, the output light comes on, however nil power going to the SSR.
The light on the SSR does not illuminate.
I have set for K type thermo-coupling, set for SSR, to use centigrade.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what needs to change, or if I have a faulty PID controller here. Other settings in the options are factory settings, have I missed a crucial setting?
Below is a diagram showing how I have wired the system.
many thanks in advance

Current wiring.jpg

Do you have voltmeter or multimeter? If so - disconnect an SSR and measure output voltage on PID SSRs terminals. When "out" led is lit it should be 24 v there.

Do you have voltmeter or multimeter? If so - disconnect an SSR and measure output voltage on PID SSRs terminals. When "out" led is lit it should be 24 v there.

I got 23VDC from the PID SSR terminals. I tested the relay with a 9V battery, and it activated. So I tried reversing the polarity with the PID SSR terminals, and it has started working. Now I can only say this is odd and must mean the official diagram is wrong, or there is an error in production with the PID. My pics show it was wired "correctly", it isn't now but it works:confused:

Appreciate your time Brumateur, any thoughts about the situation?

I have seen this mistake in the instructions mentioned in a number of places. Now I wish that is what was making mine not work.

I have the opposite problem.... The light on the SSR never goes out and the load side is always hot. It does not turn off even when the output light on PID is off.

I have seen this mistake in the instructions mentioned in a number of places. Now I wish that is what was making mine not work.

I have the opposite problem.... The light on the SSR never goes out and the load side is always hot. It does not turn off even when the output light on PID is off.

Dead SSR.

Back