Specific Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaggard

Reaction score
Hello brewers!

So, just getting the hang of reading my hydrometer. I'm pretty confident I've figured it out - however!! I'm not confident on WHEN to be reading it. I know the initial check is done on the wort before the yeast, but the final reading - is that right before the secondary carboy? (Day 4-7), or right before bottling day?

I would go with at least day 10 and day 12, then if those numbers are the same go ahead and bottle it. You are looking to determine that fermentation has finished. Longer wouldn't hurt and in some cases would be better.

I ferment, in primary only, for 14 days then check the gravity. If it is what I expect I go ahead and bottle or keg. This is a bit risky, if the gravity drops further after bottling, it could create bottle bombs.

There is no need to do a secondary in most cases.

If you're going to secondary (which isn't necessary for the average beer- you can opt to do what many of us do, and leave it in Primary for a month) the you would take a series of readings before you move the beer to the secondary. I recommend one on the 12th and another on the 14th day after yeast pitch. If they are the same, then you can rack it to secondary, if they're not, like if you have a huge beer, then you'd wait a few more days and take another reading.

If you're not planning to secondary, then there's no point in take a grav reading until you're getting ready to bottle, so you can use the figures from your first reading and this one to determine the ABV of the beer.

The original gravity check should be before you add the yeast. Then I always check it again as the krausen starts to fall back in. Then again a few days later to make sure the gravity has been stable.

You probably don't need to worry about doing the secondary.

Back