Specific gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSamu

Reaction score
I have a question. I broke my hydrometer while boiling my most recent batch. And got plenty of advice on what to do about it. But here is the question even if I have an off BG say a high BG of 1.065 or low Bg of 1.020? And it is supposed to be 1.052. What could you do about it. I f you are brewing a kit.
and if the FG is off what can you do. :mug:

"Beer is proof GOD loves us and wants us to be happy"
Ben Franklin.

With it being a kit, there is MINIMAL chance of your gravity being low or high. There is a set amount of sugar in extract and everyone knows what it is. That's why they can estimate your starting gravity to within 0.04 points. That is a very small window. It is because it's extract. I would follow directions in kit and assume that you have the right starting gravity. Keep in mind though that if you forget some extract or something, it will obviously be off. Short of you buying more extract, it will never be high.

Back