specific gravity too high to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark3885

Heads Up Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just racked my American Amber to my secondary/ bottling carboy with 4.5 oz of corn sugar (5 gal batch) so I can bottle. I checked the sg when I was half way through ,racking to the carboy and it was at 1.020 down from 1.054. Is this too high to bottle or should I leave it in my secondary now for another 2 weeks then keg?:confused:

1.020 seems high, but could be correct. Without recipe details, yeast and ferm temps, it is difficult to say if this is where you would expect the beer to end.

^^+1. It could be fermenting slow or it could be done. The only way to know is let it go a week (be patient) and see where the gravity is at that point. If it's the same then I'd say it's done.

I just racked my American Amber to my secondary/ bottling carboy with 4.5 oz of corn sugar (5 gal batch) so I can bottle. I checked the sg when I was half way through ,racking to the carboy and it was at 1.020 down from 1.054. Is this too high to bottle or should I leave it in my secondary now for another 2 weeks then keg?:confused:

How long was it in ferm before the FG reading? While FG does seem to be on the high side, it's necessary to have consecutive FG readings a couple days apart that are the same to insure that there is no more yeast activity going on. Now that you've added priming sugar, whether or not it was done fermenting is indeterminable. And if the yeast were not done eating and you add MORE food for the yeast to eat on top of that and then bottle, you potentially have bottle bombs in the making.

This batch has been fermenting at 62F for 2 weeks . I'm thinking the temp. was too low and should have let it go another week. But since I put in the priming sugar , I bottled it in 16oz bottles and left a little bit more head space . Hope it works out ok. The bottled Amber is in the same place , where it fermented so it will stay about 62-63f for 2 weeks. I need to build a box to try to keep the temps up and consistent.

Latest posts

Back