Specific gravity sample

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tankedhank

Reaction score
I Recently read on a thread that somebody suggested taking the specific gravity by just sanitizing the hydrometer and putting it right the fermenter. I was just wonder what people's opinions were on this because I m starting a batch today and might try it.
Thanks!

Not a fan. Tough to read and near impossible to get it out of a carboy (easy w/bucket though). Plus, you don't get to drink the sample. And if any gunk sticks to it, it won't give you an accurate reading.

Won't hurt the beer though.

I wouldn't. you risk contamination when putting it in and retrieving it. you also might have a hard time accurately reading it. get a turkey baster sanatize that and remove enough wort for the test.....then drink the wort. hindsight is that you will probably not get an infection if you try this but why risk it? not something i would mess with. better to not have a gravity reading than risk a ruined batch. hope that helps....if you already did it though....dont worry but dont make it a habit

Alrighty I'll invest in a turkey basted, I don't want to risk anything. Probably not going to be the most expensive homebrewing piece of equipment I'll have to buy haha but thank you I appreciate the advice!

He did mention in the 1st post about sanitizing the hydrometer. so that won't infect it as long as he only touched the tip of the hydrometer.
Having said that,it would indeed be hard to read from the steep angle. And as long as everything used for the test is sanitized,you can safely dump the unfermented wort back in the fermenter without feer of infection. The nasties don't magically get stronger just because the wort isn't fermented yet. But do keep the FV covered as much as possible so as not to let them settle in while you're testing,etc.

Buy a testing cylinder and a wine thief. Makes it so much easier to take a reading. Gets you in and out of the fermenter quick and easy and reduces your chances of infection and issues. Wine thief is glass and doesn't have all the places to clean like a baster.

Might be okay if you're looking for a stable FG. I wouldn't put it in until all of the krausen had completely died down.

What if a person santized the hydrometer, and just left it in throughout the entire Fermentation process? This would let you see move the entire time. Just a thought, I know if you have another beer going you would need a anothey Hydrometer just being curious.

I wouldn't. It'd get isulated by krausen gunk forming on it. Besides being hard to read a a steep angle. And if the hydrometer,tube & whatever you draw the sample with is sanitized,it's completely safe to put the infermented OG sample back in. I do it all the time,but I'm quick about it. Otherwise,a taste gives some indication of progress.

You don't need to buy a test cylinder. Use the tube the hydrometer came in.

That works if its solid on one end. Mine is a plastic tube with stoppers in the end. Plus, a test cylinder is more stable and deep enough that your hydrometer doesn't touch bottom when you drop it in.

One of the problems with leaving your hydrometer in the fermentor, is you can't degass the sample. CO2 in the beer will affect your reading.

A good reason for taking samples is being able to taste them. You may have reached final gravity but the beer may taste like it needs more time before racking. If you only go by FG, you may be drinking green beer.

Latest posts

Back