Speaker wire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sublime8365

Reaction score
I'm planning a new control panel build to replace my current one and I'm looking to use as many parts/supplies that I already have on hand from my current panel and otherwise. I'm using the electric brewery as a guide.

Would it be a bad idea to use speaker wire in the function that they use their 22 gauge telephone wire? I believe the speaker wire that I have on hand is 16 gauge so no problem there, but I'm not sure what the voltage rating is and if I should be worried about the insulation.

From their site:
"For the 22 gauge low voltage/signal wiring we used various odds and ends we already had on hand.

The wire is small enough that either solid core or stranded may be used easily. Telephone station wire which is typically 24 gauge can easily be used here as it is very inexpensive and provides 4 individual conductors in a variery colours making hook-up easier. Divide the amount required by 4 when using 4-conductor wire such as this. Make sure it is rated to at least 240V."

I completely understand trying to save money where you can but telephone wire is pretty inexpensive. I personally would hate to have something go wrong with something that I saved money on when telephone wire isn't expensive. You only need a few feet of it.

I have already had to replace some of the components that I went cheap on because they didn't last. It's best to buy it once and be done with it vs. something going out and you having to troubleshoot for a week (like I did) or have to replace the whole thing because the wires got to hot and caught fire.

or have to replace the whole thing because the wires got to hot and caught fire.
from what I'm reading, looks like they're talking about the auber -> ssr + and - wires (I'd have a little more hesitation if it were 110v alarm wiring though) ... you should be fine with speaker cable for the ssr triggering application though

from what I'm reading, looks like they're talking about the auber -> ssr + and - wires (I'd have a little more hesitation if it were 110v alarm wiring though) ... you should be fine with speaker cable for the ssr triggering application though

Good Point. Ya, speaker wire to send the signal to turn the ssr on\off should be fine. It's not really carrying any current.

I use speaker wire for carrying DC current in my brewery and Have no concerns over the safety of it... I am also using a heavier gauge wire than needed which helps since there is no temp increase at all.

I've read on here that the ridiculously expensive electric brewing panels that high gravity sells actually uses speaker wire for carrying AC current and they SELL those things so... (Ive asked owners of these thing to remove the cover and check numerous times but it seems the people that buy these are afraid to open them up and even look at them?)

I'm planning a new control panel build to replace my current one and I'm looking to use as many parts/supplies that I already have on hand from my current panel and otherwise. I'm using the electric brewery as a guide.

Would it be a bad idea to use speaker wire in the function that they use their 22 gauge telephone wire? I believe the speaker wire that I have on hand is 16 gauge so no problem there, but I'm not sure what the voltage rating is and if I should be worried about the insulation.

From their site:
"For the 22 gauge low voltage/signal wiring we used various odds and ends we already had on hand.

The wire is small enough that either solid core or stranded may be used easily. Telephone station wire which is typically 24 gauge can easily be used here as it is very inexpensive and provides 4 individual conductors in a variery colours making hook-up easier. Divide the amount required by 4 when using 4-conductor wire such as this. Make sure it is rated to at least 240V."

I'll comment on this as it's my my design and you're quoting my text... ;)

The 22ga wire in my design is used in various spots from SSR control signals (low voltage DC) to the volt meter signal input (240V AC).

Because of the need to pass 240V AC on the wire, I'm not sure I'd use speaker wire given that speaker wire is rarely rated to 240V AC. If it is, then you're good to go.

Not sure I'd want to use a 240v telephone.
POTS systems run at 70 volt but most of the POTS wiring you'll see in houses/walls is rated to 300V.

Because of the requirement to pass 240V AC for the voltmeter, POTS wiring (usually rated to 300V) is a simple solution and the one I recommend for the locations where 22ga wiring is needed on my design as it's readily available just about anywhere.

Good luck!

Kal

Back