Sparkling fruit wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeyZeus

Reaction score
I've decided to try my hand at making fruit wines. I'm currently in the first fermentation of a Feijoa wine - a fruit that is in season here in New Zealand which is light in colour and described as a cross between Strawberry, Pineapple, and Guava.

I'm aiming for 8% abv and would like to make this a sparkling wine. In the past I've brewed beer, and to carbonate I would prime the bottles with table sugar. I'd like to be able to do the same with my Feijoa wine.

My question is - how much sugar per 750ml bottle will be needed to give a good fizz!? Is there a standard amount or would I need to do some sort of calculation? I'd like to keep it simple if possible. I'm bottling into plastic bottles so I'm not phased if it's over active.

I've decided to try my hand at making fruit wines. I'm currently in the first fermentation of a Feijoa wine - a fruit that is in season here in New Zealand which is light in colour and described as a cross between Strawberry, Pineapple, and Guava.

I'm aiming for 8% abv and would like to make this a sparkling wine. In the past I've brewed beer, and to carbonate I would prime the bottles with table sugar. I'd like to be able to do the same with my Feijoa wine.

My question is - how much sugar per 750ml bottle will be needed to give a good fizz!? Is there a standard amount or would I need to do some sort of calculation? I'd like to keep it simple if possible. I'm bottling into plastic bottles so I'm not phased if it's over active.
I usually "bulk prime" in a bottling bucket, using 1 oz corn sugar per gallon of racked wine/mead (the actual final volume you end up with, not original volume, necessarily) - sparkling meads have been just that - sparkling, no bottle bombs....yet ;).

Back