Sparge Water PH Important?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helms

Reaction score
I'm probably going to be doing my second partial mash this weekend (I've got a number of extract/steeping grain batches under my belt).

For my extract batches I've been using reverse osmosis water. I'm aware that it's unsuitable for conducting a mash with, but how about sparging? During the sparge, am I actually trying to get further conversion or am I simply rinsing the already converted sugars off of the grains?

Thanks

The sparge is used to rinse the sweet wort from the grains. Some people use a mash-out or sparge at mash-out temps to actually stop further conversion (which could yield a drier than desired final product).

You should be okay in sparging with RO water. As i understand it, (and i could be completely wrong because i batch sparge) with fly sparging, if your sparge water is very hard and you sparge too long you risk extracting tannins towards the end of the sparge. The pH during batch sparging isn't AS important as with fly, but for quick rinses for partial mashing, you should be fine with RO. Make sure your partial mash pH is in line, though.

pH of sparge water is a concern only when said water is on an extreme end of the scale. For example, my water is a pH of 9.5 as tested personally.

With such an extreme shift in pH the issue becomes a big question of how well the grains can buffer against that pH during the sparge. Yep, I am talking tannins. I always adjust the pH of my sparge water to a neutral 7 with Lactic Acid.

The issue of using RO for all grain is strictly to do with the lack of minerals which can have a substantial impact on the beer final outcome.

Sparging is nothing more than rinsing the remaining sugars out of the grain. The grain has a buffering power which will reduce the pH of the water. The darker the grain, the more the reduction. In fly sparging, the buffering power gets diluted throughout the sparge, which can cause the pH to rise and lead to the possibility of tannin extract. In batch sparging, since you add all the sparge water at once, that doesn't happen. Basically, if you have correct mash pH, the sparge pH will remain in bounds also.

Back