Sparge Snake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queequeg

Reaction score
Had been think about the idea of a perforated return hose coiled on top of the grain bed as a sparge & vorlauf and immediately SS braided hose sprung to mind.

I did a quick search and found someone already got there first on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPARGE-SN...ultDomain_0&hash=item19d8b48980#ht_229wt_1399

Obviously I wouldn't by one, I would just make it to my exact spec. The plan would be to start with a gravity feed HLT and then gradually up grade to herms. The mash tun would have a false bottom.

From the inital look this seems a very cheap and easy to use solution.

Has anybody had any experience with SS braid in this context> how do you think it would work? What length of SS do you think you could go with before the sparge water leaks out before reaching the end?

Once you get to recirculating your mash, the braid would fill up with particles and clog in about 5 minutes. I think people are overly concerned with maximum dispersion of sparge water but that's really what the 1-2" foundation layer of water is for on top of the grain.

Hmm, I thought ss braid can be used instead of a false bottom, what stops it clogging it that instance? I would also intend to use it with a gant in the loop for what its worth.

How would it work just for sparging though.

The main thing to keep in mind here is that a braided or perforated sparge system for removing liquid from the MLT allows you to use the entire MTL as a space for the grain and its self-filtering abilities.

If you're using a braided or perforated return tube, the grain particles present in the recirculation will clog the inside of it quite quickly as Sensei Bobby_M pointed out. With braids and perforations, the flow is intended to go from the outside in, not the inside out.

thadass said:
With braids and perforations, the flow is intended to go from the outside in, not the inside out.

^ This - in the mash the pump is pulling particles out of the braid. If you put it up top the grain could get impacted. This happened to my drip manifold when my drain manifold came apart - pain in the butt.

Recirc. aside, how do you think it would work for sparging?

Fine if no recirculation as only hot water would go through the hose, and no grain. If grain was being recirculated this would clog. I made a thing with CPVC that spreads the sparge water. I don't recirculate, but certainly vorlauf (manually).Will post a pick of the sparge arm when I get home. Here's the way I do it though... until I get some pumps...

Whoops. Forgot the pic... I guess that doesn't help really...

ForumRunner_20131226_184444.jpg

Latest posts

Back