Spare Post O-Rings for Cheap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slurms

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of people out there know this, but I just found out today and figured it could help someone. It turns out the post o-rings on a ball lock keg are #9 which you can pick up a pack of 10 at one of the box stores for under $3.

Backstory. I've been acquiring equipment to start kegging. Got my kegs, new set of o-rings, and all that jazz. After putting the new o-rings on the posts, putting the gas disconnect on, and pressurizing, I heard a hissing sound... Never good. I put the old o-ring on and the sound went away. Maybe the new ones are cheap or poor quality control, who knows. But went to the plumbing section at Lowes and found some that seemed like the right size and sure enough, they are.

Take it for what it's worth, but it worked for me!

Yep, these bad boys right here.

Attachments

• 1017201740a.jpg
    1017201740a.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 75
i'm affraid now i'm just as confused as when i first saw this thread! lol

i think i'll just buy sets of keg o-rings that come with lid rings too. i got my tub of keg lube.

Ball lock posts: #9 o-ring.
Pin lock posts: #10 (per camonick)

I am skeptical of the o-ring set that I got from one of the online homebrew stores since the post rings seem thin. The ones from Lowes seemed a bit more beefier. The other ones from the set are fine though.

i'm affraid now i'm just as confused as when i first saw this thread! lol
Notice that that the ones I pictured are for PIN LOCK keg posts, which as we all know, are a different size than ball lock. They can also be numbered #111 for ball lock and #112 for pin lock. There is a fairly lengthy discussion on this page about the different O-rings. The ones I pictured above were bought at Home Depot. So far they are working well.

Hmmm, wrong o-rings... And don't get any ideas with that keg lube.

and i was about ready to edit the post to include it!

i don't know how what was supposed to be a simple answer, now has me remembering about my dream of an IV drip of vodka at night, and spunding valves. 🤔

so back on track, #9 for my 4 ball locks, and #10 for my 2 pin locks. when i burst carb at 50psi i have noticed my pin locks start hissing out the post with the normal o-rings, good to know.

A decent if not reliable test for pin lock post O-ring thickness is to cock the gas QD on the post and listen for "gas noises".
If one has used ball lock post O-rings it's common to hear escaping gas...

Cheers!

$3/10 huh?

This might blow your mind 😂. I bulk order....quite a long time ago.... and have more gaskets then I know what to do with. from McMaster
  • Dip Tube O-rings $1.96/100 - 9452K172
  • Dip Tube O-rings Quad Sealing $4.46/100 - 90025K368 (better seal, less force)
  • Post O-rings Buna-N $2.15/100 - 9452K23 (liquid post)
  • Post O-rings Silicone $10.71/100 - 9396K24 (gas post)
  • Lid O-rings Buna-N $12.69/10 - 9452K218
  • Lid O-rings Silicone $7.88/5 - 9396K926
  • Internal Quick Disconnect O-rings Silicone $6.11/100 - 9396K18 (see notes)
Most use Buna-N on the liquid posts because they are cheaper and a liquid leak will be immediately obvoius. Silicone is supposed to seal better, and is generally used for the gas posts. This also has the effect of color coding the posts as Buna-N is black and Silicone is red.

McMaster Keg O-Ring List

If one is inclined to use silicone post O-rings be aware "keg lube" (ie: silicone grease) will slowly dissolve them and leave a ring of silicone rubber inside the QD...

Cheers!

DAMN IT! this thread is confusing me! i just found out vas is bad for rubber o-rings! now keg lube is bad for silicone? lol, at $8 for 50 maybe i should just replace them every keg fill!

you know at this point, i'm think as long as their lubed, i'll keep an eye on my scale and make sure they don't leak. i don't even know what o-rings i have. what about lard? does lard work on both silicone and rubber? ;)

schrenlenka, or how ever the hell his name is spelled, loves smoked beer! swears by it! i forget is it called, raunch, or rauch? or either? lol

but calculating this right triangles angle, i think, i've once again got a bit off from cheap o-rings. but at least i learned, i wanted to buy silicone o-rings and keg lube, found a good deal. bought keg lube for rubber o-rings, because my vas doesn't work for them. but the silicone doesn't work for the silicone, need the vas for the silicone ones. :zany:

Vaseline is petroleum base you should use silicon grease and very very little. Same as dressing an O ring on scuba equipment.

unless their silicone o-rings, then you DON'T want to use keg lube, and WANT to use vas! just learned that yesterday. lol

I prefer to go with EPDM off Amazon or eBay. They are rated for food use, often have FDA written in the description. Had to go with Silicone for the new kegs dip and poppet though, couldn't find EPDM in metric.

Back