Spalt/Cascade Hop Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rthiessen

Reaction score
Hello,

I have brewed my 'summer' altbier that I will be serving in a local homebrew festival in two weeks. This altbier is lighter in color and less malty than a typical altbier. I use Spalt for all the additions and was planning to add 1 oz of Spalt for dry hopping. I usually don't dry hop this recipe but just want to see how it goes. However, I have harvested and dried 5 oz of homegrown Cascade. So I am considering dry hopping with an ounce or two of fresh Cascade.
Anyone know if these two hops will work well together? I don't want to mess up my beer. But it would be great to advertise and serve my homegrown Cascades at the festival/competition in two weeks.

Thanks,
Rob

Go for it! I just wouldn't call it an alt anymore. Sounds like you'll have a pale ale. I'd dry hop with only the homegrown Cascade.

Thanks. So maybe call it a German Pale Ale? And is 2oz too much? My recipe used 6 oz of Spalt but the AA for those was only 2.7%.

Back