Space above corney

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ascha

Reaction score
I'm looking to start a keezer build this week and I'm wondering how much room I need above the keg for gas/beverage line and connections. I'm using a 7cf Holiday from Lowes and the top of the freezer to the hump is 18". If I add a 1x6 that would be 23.5". Knowing from the chart of kegs a corney is 23" tall is 1/2" enough for the lines and connectors or should I go with a 1x8 to ensure I can fit another keg?

From what I can tell (using a 9" corney diameter) I can fit 3 on the floor, 1 on the hump and the co2 tank on the hump as well.

Keep in mind that the 23' is without the rubber base and handle. I just measured one of mine and it's 25" tall. I can't answer how much headspace is needed above since I just started my keezer build yesterday!

Yep, 25 inches...before the disconnects. Those add 1/2 inch at the posts when they are in place, and roughly 1/2 inch more than that when the lines angle up from them. Could be one of those "gotcha" moments to forget to allow for those.

I hate those moments. They happen all too often in my projects.

Keep in mind that it's a long way to the bottom when using 2 x 8's. What I'm trying to say is that if you drop anything or when you need to reach to the bottom of the freezer for cleaning etc, you will find yourself doing a handstand to make it. Even a 2 X 6 collar is a hard reach for me. A better option might be to use only three full size corny kegs and try to find a 3 gallon one to place on the hump. This way you could use a 2 X 4 or 2 x 6 collar and avoid the headstand thing. The trouble is, the smaller kegs are as scarce as hens teeth. They do exist, but they are hard to find and usually very pricey.

Thanks for all the responses this really helps me out. I think I'm just going to go with a smaller collar.

Keep in mind that it's a long way to the bottom when using 2 x 8's. What I'm trying to say is that if you drop anything or when you need to reach to the bottom of the freezer for cleaning etc, you will find yourself doing a handstand to make it. Even a 2 X 6 collar is a hard reach for me. A better option might be to use only three full size corny kegs and try to find a 3 gallon one to place on the hump. This way you could use a 2 X 4 or 2 x 6 collar and avoid the headstand thing. The trouble is, the smaller kegs are as scarce as hens teeth. They do exist, but they are hard to find and usually very pricey.

I've posted this before, so forgive. I used a 1 X 8 tongue and grove board and put it together like a picture frame (w/ 45 degree angles) so that the tongues and groves line up. The tongue fits perfectly into where the rubber seal went in the top lid (with a little force) with no glue or anything, just a couple screws to make sure. The rubber seal fits perfectly, then, into the groove without glue or anything.

EDIT: By not using a 2 X 8 also makes there be enough room to attach pink rigid insulation on the inside without encroaching on any keg room inside. The R value of mine is great.

Really like the collar on the lid, not the bottom. I'm actually using another as a fermentation chamber and it's 'necessary' to do it this way for that, for sure.

Do a double hinged collar with 1x8s. Then you'll be able to reach the bottom to clean etc.

Also, what's the height of a 5lb CO2 tank with a dual regulator attached? I'm wondering if a 1x4 will be enough for the CO2 tank which will be sitting on the hump. I believe the hump is 18" from the top of the freezer.

Back