Spa Panel build “shakedown” request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JnLnNOVA

Reaction score
I have very little experience basically with wiring/electricity so would appreciate feedback on my spa panel build to utilize 240v. I have a 4 wire dryer plug going into the box and instead of chopping off the plug from my L14-30 cord and direct wiring into the panel I added a receptacle to plug it into in the panel for the power out to my auber cube. Just looking to make sure the wires are going to the right place and no whammy’s stick out to anyone. Thanks!

Attachments

• 2341DAED-8A4B-4A94-B59A-F2F532B23E76.jpeg
    2341DAED-8A4B-4A94-B59A-F2F532B23E76.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 6D5197D1-7AB7-450D-B2AF-8E8796CB468D.jpeg
    6D5197D1-7AB7-450D-B2AF-8E8796CB468D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • D7FF4F63-0BCD-4137-B20D-D7E0385508E9.jpeg
    D7FF4F63-0BCD-4137-B20D-D7E0385508E9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
As far as I can see, the wiring looks correct. But, you've got everything so crowded together, it's hard to tell for sure where all of the wires are routed.

Brew on :mug:

I have a 4 wire dryer plug going into the box and instead of chopping off the plug from my L14-30 cord and direct wiring into the panel I added a receptacle to plug it into in the panel for the power out to my auber cube.
I don't really understand what you are trying to say here, I can't quite picture the configuration. You mention "dryer plug". Dryer circuits are typically 30 amps. You are using a 50 amp breaker. There is a potential for a problem there.

I don't really understand what you are trying to say here, I can't quite picture the configuration. You mention "dryer plug". Dryer circuits are typically 30 amps. You are using a 50 amp breaker. There is a potential for a problem there.
OP is just using the 50A breaker for the GFCI function. The circuit wires will still be protected by the 30A non-GFCI breaker in the service panel. This is commonly done.

I just noticed a cut off ground wire where the power cable enters the box. What is this?

My only gripe (assuming the cut off ground wire in picture 3 that doug spotted is stripped off insulation or an offcut) is that your stripped back ends of the white and green wires are too long for my liking. I leave as little exposed copper as possible to reduce the risk for contacting exposed conductors.

My only gripe (assuming the cut off ground wire in picture 3 that doug spotted is stripped off insulation or an offcut) is that your stripped back ends of the white and green wires are too long for my liking. I leave as little exposed copper as possible to reduce the risk for contacting exposed conductors.
The extra strip length only appears to be on the wires connecting to the ground and neutral buses, so potential shorting is much less of a concern.

I just noticed a cut off ground wire where the power cable enters the box. What is this?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to provide feedback everyone. Yes the ground bit you see there is just stripped off wire cover I hadn’t tossed yet. Sorry for the pic quality - You are right it was crowded and hard to get my sausage fingers in there but needle nose pliers helped. It would have been easier if I didn’t cram that plug receptacle in there, but I did.

I used the curly neutral white wire strip length as a gauge for stripping length but the wires I stripped going into the circuit breaker are stripped a little shorter than that. I couldn‘t get the strain relief cap to go over the cord because the hole was too narrow. Even with the electrical tape it still slides a little. The box came with a cord clamp I might be able to use to help secure it or find something else at Home Depot.

I tested it out yesterday and no issues. Another question since I will be sharing the dryer outlet - This may not really matter either way but can I leave the breaker in the spa panel in the “on” position (and plug in that way) or switch off after use and then when I plug the spa panel back in, switch the breaker back on? Thanks again for the help.

For reference I used the attached picture basically as my guide:

Attachments

• 7DC6E87B-AF9E-4EDB-B38F-1E801C11DC86.jpeg
    7DC6E87B-AF9E-4EDB-B38F-1E801C11DC86.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Breakers aren't really designed to be used as switches, I'd just leave it on.
Agree. To elaborate a bit: your brew system should be off when you plug/unplug this into the dryer outlet, so there is no potential for arcing. You don't want current flowing immediately as you plug it in, or while you unplug it.

I would suggest getting rid of the electrical tape on the outer insulation and purchasing a proper cord grip. you have nothing preventing the cable pulling on the terminations.

Back