soy sauce beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggaeDave

Reaction score
I love love love kikkoman soy sauce. I can drink it right out of the bottle. I would love to brew a somewhat salty beer with definite undertones of soy sauce. Has anyone tried this before?

The German Gose beer can be quite salty.

As far as soy sauce taste, it comes from autolysis. So you will need a lot of yeast, let it die and decompose in a macabre long bottle conditioning.

I love love love kikkoman soy sauce. I can drink it right out of the bottle. I would love to brew a somewhat salty beer with definite undertones of soy sauce. Has anyone tried this before?
Go to YouTube and search "a woman drank 1 liter soy sauce"

this thread needs to get together with the other thread that wanted to add meat to beer.
I think you need to get some short ribs and marinade them in soy sauce, then rub with black bean paste, Sriracha and ginger and brown sugar....
Smoke at 200F for 5-6 hours and peel off the bark and drop it in a Japanese rice lager. I'd taste it every day and rack it when it hits the level of infusion you're looking for.
To me I could imagine the ginger, brown sugar and even the Sriracha in a beer...
But the meat and soy sauce doesn't appeal to my tastes...

You might enjoy the subreddit r/prisonhooch if this is the kind of thing you're curious about. A guy there made a refried bean wine called "beano grigio".

that's Miso not soy sauce. and would belong in the fermented foods forum!

but as far as the OP, and being serious....i'm thinking a smoked stout/porter. depened on if you like soy sauce with roasty notes or sweet carmel ones....

you'd have to experiment to find out how much soy sauce to add though....

when I took the BJCP years ago, there was some umami (artificially added by the proctor) in an English barleywine...that I actually thought was quite nice.
That being said, it was a very minor flavor.

Add some of this for extra umami goodness.

91Dr0aLAeZL._SX425_.jpg

Couldn't you just add soy sauce to your beer? Pour yourself a regular pint, then spice it up with a spritz of soy sauce?

I don't get why you'd have to try and emulate the flavour within the beer itself.

(Side note: I'm currently fermenting my own soy sauce, the taste is just gorgeous already at 3 months in. Only 9 more months! :D)

Back