Southern passion hops partner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
Aroma described as

Passionfruit, guava, floral, soft coconut

Maybe some citrus? Lime/lemon im thinking.

Anybody have experience with these guys?

The ones I got from both YVH and Farmhouse were really lackluster. Was really excited about them until I opened the bags.

Right in my cheerios huh?

Ok then. Not too surprised as SA is relatively new to hop industry. Might not be up to snuff on the latest processing and packaging SOPs.

Nonetheless, im looking for partners.

They’ve actually been around for a while, however they recently increased the number of growers in SA beyond juts the SAB Miller owned farms. That’s why there’s so much of it available this year and was impossible to find before that. I’d assume the quality isn’t as good as when it was grown by a few select farms. I remember the Cellarmaker guys saying they thought it was one of the top 5 hops in the world. The stuff I got had almost zero aroma out of the bag, not sure about yours.

I’ve had a commercial beer that paired it with Citra. I made a beer with Sabro and Galaxy with it. Both were decent although I wouldn’t say SP stood out.

Depending on how your’s smell I’d use it more in the whirlpool/hotside.

Last edited:
Doesn’t surprise me it hasn’t necessarily been given enough love.

Cost cutting 0.1% on millers worldwide swill lagers likely generates more profit than dealing with a random hop.

Was planning on using them in a brut. Guess I’ll see what’s what when I crack it open. Hopefully the style helps it come out more.

Unfortunately a lot of these new hops have amazing descriptors but fall short when actual wort meets hop. It is to the point that I won't take a flyer on a new hop until I can find some impartial feedback on it first.

I remember the Cellarmaker guys saying they thought it was one of the top 5 hops in the world.

thats a pretty reliable quote from folks we know. this one wasnt a lark.

but yeah, alot of the new or experimental ones have crazy descriptions but lackluster strength. there's been talk of using a few chemical markers to come up with a "hop strength" type rating. cant remember the specifics, but christ do we need them to get that sorted. with all the variables to deal with like crop year, farm, terroir, processing, etc it'd be nice to at least know your hops were supposed to be strong/medium/light to begin with.....

I paired them with African Queen and wasn't very impressed. It was a neipa and had a ton of whirlpool and dry hops, not much aroma or flavor.

Back