South Central Pa. Brew Day 5/31

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still think I'll be there. Whether brewing or not is up in the air as I have a difficult task of dragging stuff about 1.5 hour drive and more than likely I'll only have my 350z available that day...

If I do brew, I got 8oz. of Tett and 8oz. EKG from the Bobby_M lottery. What should I brew? I was thinking an all EKG English IPA, but open for suggestions. Maybe a Mild for summer? Bitter? Tough choices...

I still think I'll be there. Whether brewing or not is up in the air as I have a difficult task of dragging stuff about 1.5 hour drive and more than likely I'll only have my 350z available that day...

If I do brew, I got 8oz. of Tett and 8oz. EKG from the Bobby_M lottery. What should I brew? I was thinking an all EKG English IPA, but open for suggestions. Maybe a Mild for summer? Bitter? Tough choices...
Maybe a good ESB with those Kent Goldings? Something around a 1.052 gravity with the goldings for the bitter and flavor?

I'll probably brew early so I can just hang out later. My MLT should be freed up by 10AM.You can use my stuff if you want.(10g igloo, keggle) Just bring your ingredients and a bucket.

Bump.

I've been away for several days, so I thought I'd give this a bump.
It's getting close, now. You all need to let me know who's coming.

Jeremiah and I will definitely be there, brewing an Imperial Amber and an Imperial Oatmeal Stout.

Bump.

I've been away for several days, so I thought I'd give this a bump.
It's getting close, now. You all need to let me know who's coming.
Evets,

What kind of water do you have? Will I need to bring along brewing water?

Evets,

What kind of water do you have? Will I need to bring along brewing water?

I use good ol East Cocalico twp. tap water. I've never had it analyzed, but it's always worked well for me. I have tried ph 5.2 buffer a couple times with no noticeable improvement.

Last night I sampled a barleywine that Jeremiah and I brewed back in late fall. MMM, yummy. I'll be bringing some of that to share, for sure. I'm not sure that I'll have anything else ready to drink by then, but we'll see.

Is anyone that is going to this event comfortable in telling me if my year plus cascades are worth keeping. I can bring an ounce of the pellets, they have been in vacuum sealed bags since I have had them, but they seem to have browned. If they are no good, I would like to toss them, but if they are good I plan to use em later. They really may just seem brownish next to some of the more vibrant colored hops I have.

Ryan, are you planning to attend? If so, this is pretty much a "bring your stuff and brew your own" event. Of course, you're welcome to attend even if you're not brewing.
If your hops are questionable, just use them for bittering and allow for a bit lower AA%.

Yeah, I was planning to attend and brew. I was just looking for some analytical help with some cascade (the recipe I plan to brew will not include cascade).

Evets-

Found out I'm working out of town (in Altoona, PA blah) next week from the 27th-30th, but still anticipate on attending on the 31st... We are still on for a "team" brew, correct?

Hopefully so b/c I even placed my order with AHS for my portion of the Vienna, some Special Roast, etc. (I also needed Starsan, so I didn't just order 2.25lb of grain ha-ha). I have my hops from the hop-share obviously. And I will give you $10 or whatever for my portion of the MO that you have no hand. I ordered a liquid yeast as well (London Ale) in case I get a chance to build a starter. Otherwise, I'll go with S-04...

Should be a fun time. Hopefully nothing with work (Saturday work?!) gets in the way, but its highly doubtful. I've worked maybe 2 Saturdays in 4 years here...

Hey fellas,

I'm new here, but not new to brewing. I would love to come to this, but will already be out of town. I was at Scotzin's Brothers LHBS in Lemoyne yesterday scouting out some things and wrote down all the hops they had. Perhaps it can be useful to you guys...

Be sure to post an after-brew wrap-up... Very curious to see how it works out and maybe be part of the next one.

Plugs
Saaz

Leaf
UK W.C.V. (never heard of it...)
Sterling
Cascade

Pellets
Challenger
Cluster
Galena
Willamette
Sterling
Saaz
German Spalt
German Perle
UK Progress
UK Phoenix
Columbus
Millenium
Mt. Hood
Hersbrucker
Bullion
Bramling Cross

Hey fellas,

I'm new here, but not new to brewing. I would love to come to this, but will already be out of town. I was at Scotzin's Brothers LHBS in Lemoyne yesterday scouting out some things and wrote down all the hops they had. Perhaps it can be useful to you guys...

Be sure to post an after-brew wrap-up... Very curious to see how it works out and maybe be part of the next one.

Plugs
Saaz

Leaf
UK W.C.V. (never heard of it...)
Sterling
Cascade

Pellets
Challenger
Cluster
Galena
Willamette
Sterling
Saaz
German Spalt
German Perle
UK Progress
UK Phoenix
Columbus
Millenium
Mt. Hood
Hersbrucker
Bullion
Bramling Cross
Tom does still have a good selection of hops. He also isn't inflating the prices too much. I was up there about a month ago and bought some Saaz. I'd love to make their next meeting but will probably be in the Mtns that weekend.

*waves*

Jeremiah and I will be coming together, and I don't think he knows his way, correct?

Also, is there anything you would like us to bring?

I am happy to say I have to bail on this. We finally are under contract on my house that has been on the market for a while. I need to use Sat. to get my stuff in order, boxing up the old house, and finding the new one.

Best of luck to all that are brewing.

I am happy to say I have to bail on this. We finally are under contract on my house that has been on the market for a while. I need to use Sat. to get my stuff in order, boxing up the old house, and finding the new one.

Best of luck to all that are brewing.
Sorry to hear you'll miss it but I guess a house is a little more important than brewing. After all without our house where would we brew???

Unfortunately, I may need to follow a similar path to Ryan... I'm stuck in Altoona and have been working 7:30AM - 9:00PM every day this week so far and we still aren't on track to meet our deadline. Looks like some Saturday AM work here will be in order... then I have the couple hour drive home and get ready to do it all again starting Monday (coming back to Altoona :confused:)

Hopefully something changes and I can show up, but if not, have fun brewing without me. :mad:

My apologies...

Oh well, I guess I'll just go ahead and brew your recipe without you. I hate it when work gets in the way of real life.:mad:

Oh well, I guess I'll just go ahead and brew your recipe without you. I hate it when work gets in the way of real life.:mad:

Tell me about it... Only the third Saturday I'll have had to work in 4 years with this firm (which is great in public accounting) and it just has to be this day. :mad:

Glad to see you are going to brew the recipe. I plan on brewing it as well. If I feel up to it, I'll do it Sunday, but I will probably just want to relax and drink beer by then...

In the event I work a 24 hour shift or something and can make it Saturday are their directions somewhere? Or can you mail them to my email (should be in my CP)?

Thanks-
Steve

How long are you guys brewing today. I can't make it to brew since I am still out of town, but may be leaving here around Noon which could put me in the lancaster area by 200-230...

I'm sure we'll still be at it by then. We have two AG batches going right now, but most of the folks aren't here yet.

Evets: Thanks for putting this together and hosting it. . .it was great to meet everyone there this morning and get to watch a bit of the process, I wish I could have stayed longer. Hope you guys stayed relatively dry, until the sun came out this afternoon.

A good time was had, and I thank you, Steve. Hopefully we'll get together again, soon.

Now, only 35 gallons of Imperial Oatmeal Stout to go...

Wow, what a day! I had a great time. Thanks, so much to everyone who came. We all met some great new friends and brewed a lot of great beers, as well. I'll be doing this again, for sure. I'll try to get some pix up soon.

imasickboy, davefj40, pava, and Harrison, if you're lurking about,
It was super nice to meet you guys and I'm looking forward to meeting with you all again soon.

Back