Soured my Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agcunk

Reaction score
I brewed the Midwest Irish Red Ale extract kit on 6/16. It seemed to have a strong fermentation but after ten days it was still at a SG of 1.021 (OG 1.052) vs. the target of 1.010 - 1.012 and it had a noticeably sweet character still, so I just let it hang out for a while hoping it would keep going. I have been concerned because I keep hearing the occasional bubble coming out of it even now, a couple times a day (I sit next to it in my office). Today (6 weeks after brew day) I finally decided to taste it, and it has turned into a delicious, Rodenbach-esque sour beer! It's still at 1.021 SG. The problem is, I don't really know what to do with it. Will it keep getting more and more sour, or should I stop the souring somehow since it's still bubbling? I wouldn't mind a hint more sour flavor, but I don't know if these things are naturally rate-limited. It's currently in a bucket with a lot of headroom. Should I be putting it into a 5G carboy and aging it? Adding oak? I love sour beers so I feel like I've stumbled onto something awesome here, and I just don't want to mess it up.

Latest posts

Back