Sour taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhuff

Reaction score
I tried a basic Hef, and it turned out sour. I've researched this and it sounds like acetaldehyde. I read that it might be able to be conditioned out. Has anyone ever had this? How long does it need to condition or should I just dump it? Thanks!

Don't dump it.

If it's bottled keep it and try one a week to see if it improves.

If it's kegged use the whole keg as a high powered assault rifle target in your backyard as to A) relieve frustration and B) Shooting stuff is fun.

The second suggestion should not be attempted at home.

It's bottled and it's sour like green apples. It also has a little sweet hint.

It's also been bottle for about 8 weeks now. I've been trying one every week since 3rd week.

Dude, I don't know. I had an extract batch that tasted like sour green apples. Thought it was green and forgot about it. Came back 4 months later and it tasted the same. I actually on multiple occasions thought it was a bottle of Graff. Not good. But if it's just green, it will condition out. Give it some time.

Not too warm. I live in WA and my house never gets over 70.

It started off very active in the primary, after 4 days, it went into the secondary for a week. It stopped bubbling altogether and it had three days of same hydrometer readings (1.014). I used DME as a primer. Just want to know if there is a fix i.e. time or should I give up an move on.

Little pressure release. I use iodophor to sanitize. As an experiment, I added a little more yeast to 2 bottles and recapped. Two weeks later and no difference.

Latest posts

Back