Sour/Tart Cherry Puree?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Nid_Hog

Reaction score
I'm making a sour stout and I'm planning to add cherries later. The recipe calls for sour cherry puree. It's pretty easy to find sweet cherry puree or dried/canned whole sour cherries. Before I work out a substitution, does anybody know any sources for sour cherry puree? If I do make a substitution, what do you suggest? Some combination of sweet and sour cherries (for example, sweet cherry puree and dried or canned sour cherries)?

Oregon fruit purée at your local grocery store carries a sour cherry your looking for. It is about 3.49 a 14 ounce can I believe. Hot packed like the purée you buy at the LHBS.

i used the oregon canned cherries in a sour and would not do so again. the flavor is very obviously canned, almost metallic. when i tasted it early on i detected that flavor and hoped it would go away with time but it didn't. in a recent sour i used raspberry puree and so far it's tastes amazing, i just bottled it and we'll see how it holds up over time.

I'm making a sour stout and I'm planning to add cherries later. The recipe calls for sour cherry puree. It's pretty easy to find sweet cherry puree or dried/canned whole sour cherries. Before I work out a substitution, does anybody know any sources for sour cherry puree? If I do make a substitution, what do you suggest? Some combination of sweet and sour cherries (for example, sweet cherry puree and dried or canned sour cherries)?

What did you end up using? I'll be transferring my imperial stout to the secondary and will be adding tart/sour cherry puree, but haven't started looking for it yet. I'm also going to add some bourbon.

Gordon Food Services (GFS) sells 5 lb. bags of frozen tart cherries for around $13.00 as an alternative. I will be racking a 5 gallon stout on top of them into secondary next week.

plankbr said:
Gordon Food Services (GFS) sells 5 lb. bags of frozen tart cherries for around $13.00 as an alternative. I will be racking a 5 gallon stout on top of them into secondary next week.

How long do you plan on leaving it on the cherries?

Back