Sour pomegranate recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndwhaley1

Reaction score
So I'm going to brew a few beers for my wedding coming up in about 6 months and I need to figure out one more to do. My future wife loves sour beers such as the Anderson Valley blood orange and pomegranate so why not combine the two. I've never done a sour beer or a pomegranate beer so I'd like to try one. Does anyone have any thoughts? She likes her sour beers very sour and this would be all grain. I'd like to make it a 5 gallon batch.

I know it's not technically a sour but, have you considered a Pomegranate Saison? or perhaps a ghetto frambroise? Not sure that 6 months is quick enough to develop a sour with a delicate fruit like Pomegranate.
Here's an idea, you could easily pull off a Berliner Weisse and serve it with a pomegranate syrup...

I know it's not technically a sour but, have you considered a Pomegranate Saison? or perhaps a ghetto frambroise? Not sure that 6 months is quick enough to develop a sour with a delicate fruit like Pomegranate.
Here's an idea, you could easily pull off a Berliner Weisse and serve it with a pomegranate syrup...

I haven't really considered a Saison because she wants something pretty sour. Does anyone have a good sour recipe that I could add pomegranate syrup to?

So, I ended up finding this https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/2349-gose article about gose beers. The Anderson Valley she loves is a gose so I think I may shoot for that. In the recipe they use acidulated malt to achieve the sour taste. So, how would this sour taste compare to doing an actual lactos starter?

Here are the details for those of you who don't want to read the article (although it has a ton of information on that style of beer).

There She Gose Again
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.048 FG = 1.012
IBU = 12 SRM = 4 ABV = 4.7%

Ingredients:
5 lbs. (2.3 kg) wheat malt
3.25 lbs. (1.5 kg) German Pilsner malt (2 °L)
2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg) acidulated malt (2 °L)
0.50 lbs (0.23 kg) rice hulls
2.8 AAU Santiam hops (60 min.)
(0.5 oz./14 g of 5.6% alpha acids)
1 tsp Irish moss or 1 Whirlfloc® tablet
(15 min.)
1.0 oz (28 g) ground coriander seed
(10 min.)
0.75 oz (21 g) sea salt (10 min.)
White Labs WLP029 (German Ale/Kölsch Yeast) or Wyeast 1007 (German Ale) yeast
0.75 cup (150 g) priming sugar

It suggests mashing everything but the acidulated malt for 60 minutes at 149 degrees, then adding the acidulated malt for another 45 minutes keeping temps around 144-149.

Also, in terms of adding the pomegranate syrup, how much and when?

I keep seeing this Gose recipe posted from BYO. Has anyone done this recipe and how did it turn out?

Back