Sour or just rough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasgeorge

Reaction score
Okay, so I just racked my first batch into my secondary after a week in a plastic primary. The beer is the German Wheat kit from William's Brewing. My SG was 1.056 at 80 degrees F. My current gravity is 1.022 at 75 degrees F. Is this on target if it spends another 1-2 weeks in the secondary?

My main question though is, I took the sample out of my hydrometer tube and tasted it... It had a strange taste to it, but I can't tell if I screwed up in my sanitation and it's a spoiled batch, or if it just tastes rough because it's not done and conditioned / carbonated yet. It's also warm, so I poured it in a glass and is in the fridge now... gonna taste it when it chills some.

So how do you know if it's a soured batch... I guess what I'm asking is, Is there zero question if it's soured... if it's spoiled does it taste like bathroom cleaner? Or is spoiled beer mor about a hidden sourness or just kind of an "off" taste? Thanks for the help!

With your sample in the fridge go grab Uncle Charlie's CJOHB and open it up to the tasting section in the back. There's a write up on how to taste and what areas of the tongue detect flavors.

Maybe what you think is sour is something else.:D

Good luck. I hope you didn't ruin it!

Back