Sour Funky Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarshmallowBlue

Reaction score
Started a sour cider w/ brett and bugs a few days ago.

Ingredients:
Units for 1 gallon

1 Gallon Musselman's Apple Cider
.5 lb - Maltodextrin (for long term bug food)

Yeast: 1/2 Vial ECY 20 - Bug County
Starting Gravity: 1.062

We'll see where this goes!

Sounds good. I did sour graff with wyeast 1368 and cuvee rene dregs. Added 2 quarts of esb wort to 1 gallon of Target brand spiced cider. Put 1 gallon on peaches and now we wait

Mine fermented out the basic sugar and the maltodextrin in 7 weeks. ECY 20 is a true tank of a bug colony. 1.002
IMG_0699.JPG

What is this reading number I read a lot of people posting?

You posted 1.002? What is this for?

Thanks,
GoingInCider

What is this reading number I read a lot of people posting?

You posted 1.002? What is this for?

Thanks,
GoingInCider

The device in the liquid is called a hydrometer, it measures the sugar left in your beer, cider, mead, wine, etc. This is referred to as gravity.

So you take a gravity reading when you begin. Then as it ferments, the gravity will drop. 1.000 is the same gravity as water. Since alcohol is thinner than water, in some cases your gravity will drop below 1.000 (0.996 for example).
There's a lot that gravity can tell you about your batch.

• Gravity readings are the surest way of knowing if your batch it actively fermenting.
• They can also tell you when fermentation has finished or stalled.
• Gravity readings are used to calculate ABV.

The device in the liquid is called a hydrometer, it measures the sugar left in your beer, cider, mead, wine, etc. This is referred to as gravity.

So you take a gravity reading when you begin. Then as it ferments, the gravity will drop. 1.000 is the same gravity as water. Since alcohol is thinner than water, in some cases your gravity will drop below 1.000 (0.996 for example).
There's a lot that gravity can tell you about your batch.

• Gravity readings are the surest way of knowing if your batch it actively fermenting.
• They can also tell you when fermentation has finished or stalled.
• Gravity readings are used to calculate ABV.

Awesome. Thanks! I'll have to grab one of these.

Have you tasted it? Both of my funky, sour ciders have turned out VERY sour. That might be because I topped them off with fresh juice several months into fermenting, though, giving the lactic acid bacteria a head start and then giving them fresh sugars to turn to lactic acid.

It's pretty sour, but there's some mild-moderate brett character in the back. I bottled it last night. Half is getting carbed and the other half is still. I'm sure they will both continue to develop in the bottle. But I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Back