Sour beer kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBeer

Reaction score
I want to try a sour beer. Does anyone know where I can get a pre put together kit? I understand that it's a difficult brew and a kit will be my best bet.
I know AHS has a large selection of kits..
Just don't know the names of any good sour / wild beers.

There aren't really many sour kits out there. Do you want a lambic style, a Berliner Weisse, or a Flanders red (or brown)? Do you brew extract only, partial mash, or all grain? Northernbrewer has an Oud Bruin estract with specialty grains: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/oud-bruin-de-table-extract-kit.html

Morebeer sells a Flanders Red (Rodenbach style) that is a partial mash (you really have to add the 3763 yeast to have any sourness):http://morebeer.com/view_product/6229/beerwinecoffee/Flanders_Red_Ale_-_Mini_Mash_Beer_Kit

Northern Brewer also has a Chateau Northern Lambic kit and a Dawsons Kriek cherry lambic kit. These are partial mash kits also.

You can really use any low hopped (<10 IBUS) kit you like and pitch either Roselare yeast (Wyeast 3763) or Lambic blend (Wyeast 3278 or WL655) and let it sit a year in a carboy.

For more reading on the subject, there is a forum for Lambic and Wild Brewing on this site. It can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.

I brewed the Oud Bruin De Table without trying anything like it. I don't know if I will like it at all. Has been in 2ndary since last april. Lots of barnyard funk from the Roeselare blend and a very different taste from anything I have tasted.

Thanks.. I do pretty much all grain.. And a partial mash every once in awhile.
I am looking for something that is a good introduction into sour beer.
The northern Brewer one looks pretty good.
Is that something you'd recommend for a first time sour?

So glad I found this forum.. It has been the best learning experience thus far.

Thanks.. I do pretty much all grain.. And a partial mash every once in awhile.
I am looking for something that is a good introduction into sour beer.
The northern Brewer one looks pretty good.
Is that something you'd recommend for a first time sour?

So glad I found this forum.. It has been the best learning experience thus far.

Are you buying bulk grain now?

beerman0001 said:
Are you buying buying grain now?

Yep.. There is a awesome little home brew shop not 15 min from my home. I'm in there at least once a week.
I started with grains.
In fact this weekend I did my first partial mash. A dry Irish stout.
There's just something about all grain that really peeks my creative side. I feel more in control of what I'm making. Not to mention the outcome, i feel, is better.

You need dedicated equipment to do sours, if you don't want to contaminate future batches.

Sours are not for the beginner, require an additional hardware investment, and take a long time before they're ready to drink (like a year or more).

Just keeping it real...if you need someone to put a kit together for you, you're not ready for wild brewing.

Before I brewed my first sour I went to the bottle store and bought six different brews. Decided on what I liked then started brewing.

beerman0001 said:
Before I brewed my first sour I went to the bottle store and bought six different brews. Decided on what I liked then started brewing.

Good idea.. I'll look around.

When is someone ever really ready for learning something new?
It's when they decide to take the plunge and try it out.
I have no where near mastered the art of brewing, but trying new things is part of the excitement this hobby offers.. I happen to have a complete spare brew equipment kit sitting here, and I figured.. Why not...

Latest posts

Back