Sour beer in bucket.. Will it infect other brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barkley990

Reaction score
We have just started primary for our sour. We plan to let it ferment for 3 weeks then transfer it into a bucket for secondary/introduce e bacteria. (I know buckets are not best for sours as they introduce much more oxygen, but it's what we have).
Anyway my question is, I know the plastic buckets "breathe", will another plastic bucket get infected or will the bacteria stay inside the sour bucket and only let oxygen in/out. I usually have 4/5 different buckets going and am wondering if I need to move the sour to another room.
Thanks for any input you have.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

No the bugs will not infect other equipment/beers in the same room.

Walmart has cheap white HDPE 5 gallon buckets. Why not just buy one of them and dedicate it to your sours. Mark it well so it won't get mixed up with the other buckets. If you decide you don't want to brew any more sours they can be used for other purposes too.

It won't cause an infection to other vessels in the room, but you should dedicate the bucket to sours from now on. It is likely that if you brew another beer in it, regardless of style, it will impart sour characteristics.

Latest posts

Back