Sour beer bottle cleaning???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YOpassDAmike

Reaction score
When I empty a bottle of homebrew, to clean the bottle, right away I rinse the bottle multiple times with hot water to wash away any yeast sediment and then I put the bottle on a bottling tree to dry. Before using the bottle on bottling day, I sanatize the bottle with a star san solution. I feel like this is a pretty standard procedure for many homebrewers. My question, if I empty a bottle of homebrew that held a intentionally made sour ale (beer has lacto and brett in it), will rinsing the bottle using my previous hot water rinse method be sufficient enough to rinse away all of the left over yeast, lacto, and brett sediment and clean the bottle? Should I soak these bottles in a pbw solution instead or is this not a necessary procedure? I will still use the star san solution rinse to sanitize the bottles of course before bottling. Any feedback or experience is appreciated, thank you.

Personally, I'd use PBW with or without an infected beer just as I use soap to clean my dishes. Your sanitizer is not substitute for a cleaner. Just my opinion!

I have used bottles that contained sour beer for bottling my homebrews. I washed and sanitized them before use and had no problem, so you should be fine as well.

Back