Sour batch kidz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ojaason

Reaction score
I picked up a package of imperial yeasts sour batch kidz. Does anyone have any experience with this blend? Any idea how long this will need to spend in the fermenter? The only sours I've brewed have been kettle soured and have never used brett

Never used, but since this is a blend two bretts, saison sacc (low attenuating), and lacto, and since it's meant to emulate lambics, I would imagine it would display active fermentation for a few weeks before needing long-term storage.

I haven't used it either. This will be a lot different than a kettle sour (better in my opinion).

Imperial doesn't say anything about IBU, but since there's no Pedio I would use no hops ... I like sour.

Expect to let it age for at least 5-9 months. With this method of pitching, Brett takes some time to attenuate and develop flavor.

Cheers

I haven't used it either. This will be a lot different than a kettle sour (better in my opinion).

Imperial doesn't say anything about IBU, but since there's no Pedio I would use no hops ... I like sour.

Expect to let it age for at least 5-9 months. With this method of pitching, Brett takes some time to attenuate and develop flavor.

Cheers
Does attenuation actually take that long? Or is it more of flavor development

Does attenuation actually take that long? Or is it more of flavor development
Those are good questions.

Like any beer, the time it takes to reach a stable FG depends on several factors: wort composition, Brett strain(s), temperature, etc.
It does take longer than Saccharomyces to finish eating whatever dextrins it wants. Typically it takes at least 3-4 weeks, and perhaps up to 6-9 months.
I haven't been monitoring gravity on my traditional sours, so I can't really speak from experience to say when mine actually finish.

The lengthy aging is mainly for flavor development. Generally the fruity flavors transition into more barnyard-type funky flavors over time. Blending can achieve a mix of both.
Depending on the hop rate, souring may take a very long time, up to 18-24 months in some cases.

FYI: With more modern pitching schedules and wort production techniques we can get mixed Sacc/Brett/Lacto sours bottled in the same amount of time as a clean beer (1-2 weeks) if you really want to push the timeframe.

Like any beer, the time it takes to reach a stable FG depends on several factors: wort composition, Brett strain(s), temperature, etc.
It does take longer than Saccharomyces to finish eating whatever dextrins it wants. Typically it takes at least 3-4 weeks, and perhaps up to 6-9 months.
I haven't been monitoring gravity on my traditional sours, so I can't really speak from experience to say when mine actually finish.

The lengthy aging is mainly for flavor development. Generally the fruity flavors transition into more barnyard-type funky flavors over time. Blending can achieve a mix of both.
Depending on the hop rate, souring may take a very long time, up to 18-24 months in some cases.

FYI: With more modern pitching schedules and wort production techniques we can get mixed Sacc/Brett/Lacto sours bottled in the same amount of time as a clean beer (1-2 weeks) if you really want to push the timeframe.
That's great info. So after blending, I assume it could take a few more weeks for brett to attenuate the blend?

That's great info. So after blending, I assume it could take a few more weeks for brett to attenuate the blend?
Typically beers are blended at packaging, although it's fine to wait for some additional attenuation. It may still take weeks-months to stabilize.
If blendingat packaging you either carbonate and pasteurize or you can try to account for the additional gravity drop when priming (it's easier if you can consistently make the same wort).
Unpasteurized gueuze or other blended beers are frequently packaged in heavy bottles and corked (and often highly carbonated); the results aren't always predictable. Heavy bottle withstand greater carbonation levels, and cork releases carbonation slowly over time.

Blending is definitely an advanced method, but generally achieves the most complex flavor profile.
A commercial blend like Sout Batch Kidz should provide a good beer by itself though. I'd assume Imperial did a good job with it. I haven't heard anything bad about any of the commercial blends.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Packaging

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Blending

Last edited:

Sorry for resurrecting an old post I was just here doing research on Sour Batch Kids, but I saw your comment about getting Sacc/Brett/Lacto sours bottled in 1-2 weeks and I’m really intrigued? Can you tell me how?

I used it as secondary for a sour I did a couple years ago. I did primary with Abbey |Ale yeast, then pitched that and a couple sets of dregs for second - left it for 11ish months - it was a year brew to package.
Came out great.

Can you tell me how?
This is just regarding the carbonation aspect, not accounting for flavor profile:

I would imagine if you're bottling, expect the final gravity to be close to 1.005-1.000. Take the difference of the gravity where you're at at bottling time and that assumed FG, and that'll give you the expected carbonation volumes. If that's not a value that's acceptable (ie. too high -> bottle bombs) you might have to wait a bit longer for the gravity to drop before bottling.

Sorry for resurrecting an old post I was just here doing research on Sour Batch Kids, but I saw your comment about getting Sacc/Brett/Lacto sours bottled in 1-2 weeks and I’m really intrigued? Can you tell me how?
See PM :)

This is just regarding the carbonation aspect, not accounting for flavor profile:

I would imagine if you're bottling, expect the final gravity to be close to 1.005-1.000. Take the difference of the gravity where you're at at bottling time and that assumed FG, and that'll give you the expected carbonation volumes. If that's not a value that's acceptable (ie. too high -> bottle bombs) you might have to wait a bit longer for the gravity to drop before bottling.
Got you thanks!

Latest posts

Back