Sour after refrigerating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1amberrenae

Reaction score
Why would a beer turn sour only after refrigerating?

I had beer sitting for several weeks in kegs. I've been drinking it over this time at 65 degrees. Zero sour. On day 3 in the fridge, in a matter of hours, it turns sour. Two different batches did this.

One was an IPA that lost all its bitterness and turned sour.

I love sours and it taste great but need control

Thank you!
Put the kegs in the fridge.
Huh. Do you get any kind of chill haze? I wonder if there's something going on with either the temperature making something with a sour note precipitate out, or if the coldness just makes you perceive more of a sour note. If you pour a sample and let it warm to 65, do you still get the sour?

Warming up it definitely tastes less sour. Maybe not 100%.

I wouldn't say I get chill haze. The opposite really. It clears the more it sets.

do you have check valves between the kegs? so air can't go between them? could your tap lines/co2 lines be contaminated?

just my random thoughts....

do you have check valves between the kegs? so air can't go between them? could your tap lines/co2 lines be contaminated?

just my random thoughts....

Thank you!! I was wondering this too. I don't have check valves. But it's not happening to all of them. I have 5 drafts with CO2 manifold and only two of them it happened to. So I don't think this is it. Which is good. But still searching.

Not familiar. Am googling now.

dissolved co2 picks up a extra H in water...which makes it a hydrogen donor or H+ (acid)...something about the way it's soluble in it....

edit: thinking about that it picks up an extra O turns into co3 or something, lol...googling myself now to refresh my memory! :mug:

ok so it picks up an OH, and the H wants to go away...so any OH- will pick it up....(i'm new too, if you couldn't tell...just trying to have some fun and maybe help. remember this if you get hardcore, and think about O2 exposure! that extra O on that C will want to go some where when it's lonely without the h that got stole! ;)))

Last edited:
Back