Sorbistat K, How much to add

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schmitz

Reaction score
I figured its a simple question but I dont have a scale and I purchased sorbistat k to add in my secondary, sweeten it then bottle a still cider.

It says .5 to .75 grams per gallon. On two other sites I've read 1/2 tsp and on another 3/4 tsp per gallon. Figured its close, but the least I use the better. Seriously concerned about off flavors down the road.

Also, I've read often its wise to use in conjunction w/ campden. Should I use campden or not?

Finally, what is the proper procedure with sorbistat? I've had 3 5gal carboys in primary for a bit of a long while (3.5 months) will rack over, add sorbistat, let sit for 3 days, then sweeten to taste. At that point, I could cold age it in secondary another 3 or 4months. Does that sound like the right way to go?

Appreciate any insight. Thanks guys.

The bottles I buy say 1/2 tsp per gallon so thats what i use with no problems. The camden (sulfities) are added to prevent a Malolactic fermentation that may occur depending if there is malic acid present in the wine, if it does go through a ML ferment it will have a very strong smell of geraniums and will be undrinkable so its a good to add the camden in.

You seem to be on the right track for adding it to the carboy but rack on top of it during the transfer or mix the sorbate into a small amount of wine and dissolve and add then back.

Back