Son of Fermentation Chamber design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultrashock

Reaction score
Hello,

What do you think about my Son of Fermentation Chamber design?

SON.jpg SON2.jpg

It will be made from 5cm polystyrene foam sheets 125x60cm and it is designed for 50L plastic fermenter. A could not achieve more than 50cm height, but in the local stores this foam is only in this size.
During the summer the ambient temperature is about 20-24C, what minimum temperature can I expect in the fermenter and around it? I will use frozen water.
I'm planning to construct it on Sunday, appreciate any advices!

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

No replies to this thread, but I have already did it. Here are some pictures, if you are interested, I will describe the procedure and materials:
IMG_2643.jpg IMG_2644.jpg IMG_2645.jpg IMG_2646.jpg IMG_2648.jpg IMG_2649.jpg

I have tested it with fermenter filled with 30L water 25C, it could maintain 12C for 12 hours with only 2 bottles of frozen water (2L) and 4 packs of coolers for cooler. I didn't have any more time to test it longer, but these days i will. I will try to maintain 15C for 2 days with the same coolers.

This looks like a great low-budget , space-saving option for a fermenter! I am thinking a fermenter is my next upgrade to my equipment. I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide the procedures & equipment you used! Thanks!

When I made my SOFC I used the original design but made my own mods.

I didn't add the divider wall or the fans. It's 1 large chamber.

I can put 2 primary buckets or 2 carboys in it at the same time. The ice jugs are 1/2 gal AJ containers.

I mounted the "pink stuff" to plywood and made a top that doubles as a bar. I also mounted the entire project on a dolly so it can move around in my garage and painted it white.

Nice build and nice pictures. I have been researching the SOFC your post was helpful. That will be my next project. I like that it's small and light weight so I can store it in the attic when I'm not using it.

Have you used it yet? Did it perform as well as you expected it to?

Back