Somewthing White might be right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackTenn

Reaction score
I am trying to put together a nice White Ale as that is what my family is in love with. I have tried a few receipes but havent found the one that seems to be just right. SO I decided for the first time to make my own from scratch and would love to know what you guys think. Be honest and rude I dont care there is only one way I am going to learn!

Thanks

Grains
3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)

5lbs Wheat Dry Extract
8 oz. clear candi sugar
1lbs honey
1 oz Hersbrucker at 60 minutes
.25 oz Bitter Orange Peel after 15 min
.25 oz Coriander after 15 min
1/2oz Hallertauer (4.8%) 10mins
1/2oz Hallertauer (4.8%) 1mins
Primary Fermenter 2 weeks

2nd Fermenter 1 week with 2 cinnamon sticks

Bottle one week

First, there is nothing to convert the starches in the flaked wheat. Get rid of that unless you are doing a mash. THat leaves you with 9 lbs of DME plus a pound of honey and a half pound of sugar. This will make you a HUGE beer that will be fairly dry. Also, "grains" are not the same thing as extract. Extract is extract and grain is grain. I'd probably cut it back to 7 lbs of DME and steap about a half a pound of carapils. The cinnamon sticks are also going to overpower this relatively delicate beer, I'd leave that out as well. A good place to start for something like this is Brewing Classic Styles. I'd recommend looking at that and then modifying to your taste. Another thing you can do is post the past recipes you've made and state what you don't like or want more of. That way we can help you adjust those past recipes to your taste.

Thanks a ton. I didnt look closely enough and didnt realize I had all extracts and no grains ( I do know the difference!) Again thank you I will take your advice.

Latest posts

Back