Someone try my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phenry

Reaction score
So my first batch didn't exactly turn out as good as I hoped, but I can't really put my finger on what's wrong with it while reading through the list of off-flavors you can get. I really don't know any experienced homebrewers around me that can help me diagnose the problem, so I'm pretty willing to spend a few buck to ship 2 bottles to someone in the midwest to try and give feedback. Would anyone be willing to help me out? I've left it in bottles for 4 weeks, and while it's not good, it's definitely not undrinkable. It just doesn't taste like an APA should. I can't tell if it's acetaldehyde, sourness from infection, extract twang, or something else.

Many thanks,
Phil

If you have a homebrew shop nearby, give them a call. Odds are they will be happy to take a look. Or, if not, the would have information on any local homebrewing clubs, which are an excellent way to get feedback on your beers.

If you have a homebrew shop nearby, give them a call. Odds are they will be happy to take a look. Or, if not, the would have information on any local homebrewing clubs, which are an excellent way to get feedback on your beers.

I'm in Rolla, so no LHBS. Closest is in St. Louis, which is where I'm going in about a week. I guess that's the best option now, but if that's a no-go I'm coming back here.

Hey man, I live not TOO far from you in Lexington MO. I'd be happy to give it a try. I've only been brewing for a year or so, but I might be able to help ya out. I live a ways from a LHBS too, can be frustrating at times. Thank god for the internet.

Just a few guesses or a suggestion: SINCE this was your first brew session, I'd guess that you probably did what most of us (?) did and purchased a recipe kit (my very first was a true-brew kit called 'continental dark' (I don't recommend it) -while not undrinkable, it wasn't something I'd do again) -I've never seen one of these kits that didn't come with a dry-yeast packet, that generally didn't have a date (lord knows how long it sat on a shelf, in a bin before getting packaged to sit on another shelf to be shipped). The first thing I did that made a BIG improvement in my beers was to get a 'live' yeast (my first was from WhiteLabs, but I usually use Wyeast since my favorite LHBS sells that brand -and both are excellent) -it may make all the difference in the world. It sounds like you let it ferment out and sit long enough for the yeast to finish up their jobs cleaning the beer -but if the yeast are old or stressed before you even pitch, well you will not get the best results you could get. My advice would be to do it again, but use appropriate live yeast to do it.
Lastly, often (again, going by experience using ingredient kits my first year) the yeast packaged was 'generic' in that it wasn't a different strain for different styles of kits -and it makes a big difference.
Hope I helped in some small way :)

The first thing I did that made a BIG improvement in my beers was to get a 'live' yeast (my first was from WhiteLabs, but I usually use Wyeast since my favorite LHBS sells that brand -and both are excellent) -it may make all the difference in the world.

I totally agree, my first beer was massively under-attenuated and I'm pretty sure the stupid Coopers dry yeast packet is the reason.

I just want to clarify a little bit, you can be very successful using only dry yeast - just not the stuff that comes in a tiny little packet taped to an extract can. Get some Safale US-05 or 04 (or Nottingham, but I don't use that very often). I use the Safale on all my pale ale, IPA type beers and couldn't be happier. It's very clean and does not leave behind lots of extra sugars.

Thanks for the clarification Bruin, I didn't intend to slight dry yeast packs (my brother uses 'em to very good results). FRESH yeast (dried or live) are essential, in my book.

Skip trying to figure what went strange on your very 1st brew an shipping them to people...I would not even bother trying to microscope what is going on...You have to have a process before you can improve it! 1st batch? Congratulations!!!! You made beer!!!!! :mug: Welcome to being a Homebrewer!!!!

There is a ton of info in the beginner's section for stickies (at the top) check them out!

If I were you, I would get a new batch going ASAP, with fresh ingredients. There is nothing worse than being out of homebrew. If you can do a partial mash. Deathbrewer has a sticky about it in the Beginner's section and it is much easier than you may think. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

or

get an extract recipe and buy the ingredients from your LHBS. Whatever you do get a second and 3rd batch rolling ASAP.

I will suggest a stout, nothing big or fancy but most stouts have a strong enough flavor to cover and blend imperfections. The other suggestion is a wheat beer, warmer weather is coming and wheat beer is great in the sun! (The ladies also enjoy them ;) )

Learn to RDWHAHB!

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I have someone lined up to try some of mine. It's not like I'm incredibly worried with how this batch went to the point where I would even begin to think about giving up homebrewing, it's just that I would like someone with more experience than me be able to pinpoint what exactly isn't tasting right so that I can do better in future batches.

I didn't brew this batch (APA straight out of How To Brew) from any kit, and I used White Labs WLP001 which had an expiration date of May 2011 which had pretty good attenuation (78% if BrewTarget is correct). I brewed an IPA of my own recipe the same day I bottled it, and racked that onto the yeast cake since it seemed like a pretty healthy batch of beer at the time. The IPA tasted good when I took a hydrometer sample about 1 week ago (had been in primary for 3 weeks at that time - 1.060 to 1.011) and I'm going to bottle it this weekend after having dry hopped it for 2 weeks.

I understand there's a learning process involved with this, and I want to produce a good batch of beer from extract before I jump into all grain (which I'm in the process of buying the equipment for right now). And hey, the more I learn, the more beer I get to drink. That's what we call a win-win right?

Back