Someone please fix my mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipster

Reaction score
So, I need to get some beer in the kegerator, pronto. Out of beer+hockey playoffs=angry brewer. I have Ed's Pale ale on the to do list for tomarrow. Was thinking about doing a 8 gallon batch. Problem is I have never batched sparged before, and my pot for filling sparge water is only a 20q.

Heres the plan for the grain

12lbs 2 row
3lbs Vienna
1lb crystal 10l

How do I mash this? I have a keggle, and a 12 gallon converted cooler for a mash tun. I am limited by the 20q kettle. Any thoughts

You can batch sparge in steps. Near the end of the mash, fill the 20 qt kettle almost to the top, and begin heating it to 170-ish degrees F. After the mash tun has drained, add the hot sparge water, stir, vorlauf, and drain again. While you're recirculating and draining, fill the small kettle one more time, heat, and repeat the batch sparge process. That should net you about 12 gallons of wort.

Should I up the grain and do 10 gallons? And I was worried about extracting some tannis with the 3 run-off. It sounds like my worries were missed placed. Any thoughts about off flavors?

Shoot, I missed the 8 gallon part...need to RTFQ!

A lot of folks do multiple batch sparges. There's nothing to worry about there. You'll need a total of about 7.5 gallons of sparge water to get 10 gallons to the kettle.

So the first numbers where for a 10 gallon batch? If so I think I like that idea better. :rockin: I think I will up the grain bill and do 10.

Latest posts

Back