Some questions about my equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schmidty

Reaction score
I've already posted a couple other threads about the equipment I got, but now I have a couple more questions. I added a drain tube to my brew pot and with it's placement I have the ability to drain all but a few cups of liquid. Towards the end of draining it I started to get some bubbling in my drain tube as the siphon was coming to and end. Should I be concerned about HSA with this?

Next question is when I tested my CFC I just used hot water and went from about 180 degrees going in to around 60 coming out, will this be different when using wort?

And my last question is I picked up two 6 gallon Better Bottles and two of the orange carboy caps, the ones with two nipples on top. Will these be sufficient for fermentation or has anyone seen oxidization issues using these?

If I missed a post on these then sorry for the repeat, my search-fu may be weak.

1. Dont be overly concerned with hot side aeration. a few bubbles will not hurt anything.
2. Yes. Due to the increased gravity of wort ie. 1.050 heavier then water, it will retain heat to a higher capacity then water will. It will just take a little longer to chill it out.
3. While fermentation is taking place and even after fermentation, the wort is producing Co2 that has no where to go but up and out. This will be sufficient to keep any buggys out

Back