some n00b questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloppyjoe

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new in these parts... I've got a few questions.. I tried searching but couldn't find anything so here goes nothin.

1) Irish Moss, does it add any flavor to the beer? I ordered some with my kit but wanted to ask here if it would add any flavors to the beer that I may or may not want.

2) Does it matter how much yeast is added? My question specifically is this... I am considering brewing just a half batch.. so should I only add half my yeast? or should I add the whole thing? Seems kinda like a silly question but I'm just wondering if it matters.

Thanks much

-J

sloppyjoe said:
Hello, I'm new in these parts... I've got a few questions.. I tried searching but couldn't find anything so here goes nothin.

1) Irish Moss, does it add any flavor to the beer? I ordered some with my kit but wanted to ask here if it would add any flavors to the beer that I may or may not want.

2) Does it matter how much yeast is added? My question specifically is this... I am considering brewing just a half batch.. so should I only add half my yeast? or should I add the whole thing? Seems kinda like a silly question but I'm just wondering if it matters.

Thanks much

-J

1 - no - just for clarity
2 - pitch the whole thing!!

Brewing Honey Brown Ale Extract Version from Nothern Brewers... I hope it won't be too difficult for a first..

Great, I'm really looking forward to it..Thanks for being so helpful.

I don't know if I'm going to do half or not.. The only reason I might do a smaller batch is because I don't have a 6gal carboy. If I'd have thought more about it I'd have ordered a Ale Pail from NorthernBrewer but its too late now. What I have are 3.5 gallon plastic carboys (like better bottles but smaller) I'd like to do the full 5 if I had a large enough container but I can't think of anything I could use as a fermenter.

You say I have to get another grain bag? I don't mind to buy the grain again.. but would using the whole amount of grain throw the recipe off?

Ohh yea... plus spending the extra ~$20 on the Bucket might get me in trouble with SWMBO..

You could probably pick up a food grade plastic bucket with lid at a restaurant supply store if you have one close by. Or split your batch between the two containers now, then use the week or so to get a bigger pail/better bottle for secondary. Secondary is good for clearing, but not always necessary.

I would say split the batch between the two buckets, then bottle one after like 2 weeks, siphon the other into the now spare bucket, let it clear for 2 weeks then bottle. Keep them both labled as to which bottle date, so you can see the difference between the two batches - secondary vs non secondary and judge to yourself which is worth it? Also, you will have some carbed up nicely by the time you are bottling the second batch, and while you wait for it to carb you can keep your self busy by watching the secondary settle out!

:mug:

Ok.. Something has been brought to my attention...

The containers I have are big water bottles... We get water in them and I kept a few around for this.. but reading else where says that they may be oxygen permable and spoil my brew... Any truth to that? should I order some proper fermenting buckets?

Anything plastic should be PETE and/or have the number 1 as the recycling symbol.

Now and again I have seen some water bottles with PETE1, however they usually have reinforcement features or handles that do not make them conducive for cleaning, etc.

Search for Better Bottles.

Well my search has led me to find a winery about 2 hrs away that sells beer and wine making equipment (supposedly, I've not spoken with them yet)... they've got 6.5gal carboys and buckets AND it just so happens I'm going to the doctor about 15 minutes away from that winery tomorrow! HAH! so I'm all up in it now...

I wish I'd found it sooner, I could have saved the $20 in shipping I paid. I looked all around in the yellow pages and asked a few people but nobody knew anywhere except the place that is 3 hours away. Oh well...

One more question...

When using a food safe plastic bucket... is it ok to open the lid every now and then to see what is going on?

Back