Some bottles overcarbonate and some don't

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKBugs

Reaction score
Why does this happen?
My beer ferments out no worries, and i use the 750ml PET bottles.
I add 2 carbonation drops to each one and fill up to just above the neck taper.

1/3 of my batch is being lost. Help please.

Test the s.g. for both carbonated and uncarbonated bottles. (Degas the carbonated sample.)

If they are the same then you know your bottles are leaking.

If they are different then you know something is wrong with the bottle fermentation.

I'd recommend to measure out your priming sugar for the entire batch. Add it to the bottling bucket and stir well. That keeps the sugar even for every bottle and will give you a consist carbonation level in each bottle.

I'd recommend to measure out your priming sugar for the entire batch. Add it to the bottling bucket and stir well. That keeps the sugar even for every bottle and will give you a consist carbonation level in each bottle.
Furthermore, you should dissolve the sugar in hot water before putting it in the bottling bucket (the sugar solution should be completely clear), before racking the beer to it. Angle the tubing so it creates a whirlpool as it's filling. This ensures complete mixing every single time without needing to stir hardly at all.

If you want to get fancy you can prime the fermenter instead, wait 15 minutes or so, and then bottle straight from there.
If you want to get even fancier you can bottle spund. :)

Thanks all, I think spunding would be bad idea lol.

I suspect it is my PET bottles, as both gravity readings came out the same.

I will try the priming sugar for the batch now, as suggested. I was worried about oxidation, but it's probably not a major issue if i'm drinking it sooner rather than later.

Cheers.

I don't bottle often but I had great results by using 1 sugar cube per 12 oz. The Domino brand fit into a standard bottle. The C&H brand is a bit larger and didn't fit. I used a clean (periodically dipped in sanitizer) pair of tweezers to add the cubes to reduce contamination. To this point I haven't had any explode and currently have about 130 bottles sitting in storage.

1 and 1/4 cup of dry light malt extract dissolved in 2 cups of water that is then brought to a boil. Add it to the bottling bucket before siphoning the beer in. Ditch the corn sugar. It has no place in brewing IMHO....

Back