Some Bottles Didn't Seal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philmo418

Reaction score
Hello,

Another Newbie with another carbonation issue.

For my first batch of brew I decided to use 1/2 glass bottles and 1/2 plastic. The glass bottles sealed and there were no issues and the beer was not bad.

For the plastic bottles I saved up A&W Root Beer plastic ~16 oz bottles to use as my plastic bottles. They are dark in color and had a plastic screw top. I purchased new tops prior to bottling.

The issue is that about 1/2 or more of the plastic bottles did not seal properly and did not hold the carbonation, some even leaked. I would like to try and save the remaining bottles, about 10 or so, and I am looking for suggestions on how to go about this. I think I have the seal issue solved but how do I jump start the carbonation process. The beer, an English Ale, has been in the bottles since about July 20th.

I would imagine in the original bottling process, heat or something is applied to the little rubber gasket under the lid to help seal it. One possible solution could be dipping in wax to try to get a full seal, better solution is using glass and caps.

Thanks, I may try the heat process on the seal; however, the issue at hand is trying to save the current batch. I think I have the seal issue fixed but the beer is flat due the the leak. I would like to try and jump start the carbonation process and reseal so.... do I add sugar, yeast, both to the bottles or just reseal and see if it will come back to life?

Drop a sugar cube in one and seal it...if it's hard after a couple of days, then it's carbed and you can do the rest of the batch. Shouldn't need any yeast.

The problem with PET plastic bottles is the cap. You don't have to heat it or anything. Just crank them down gorilla tight. The leaky ones were likely not tight enough...I mean "I can't unscrew this damn thing" tight. I had to do that with my Cooper's PET bottles.

Back