Some bottles are not carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afreitag

Reaction score
Why are some of my bottles carbonated more then others. I had one last night and carbonation was great. Went to crack open another one tonight and this one had no carbonation at all. This batch has been in the bottles for about 2 weeks now.

Are you adding sugar into each bottle, or adding the sugar to the batch before bottling. It would be possible to miss bottles when individually adding sugar especially with a little help from the last batch. Another possibility is a weak seal on the cap. I don't know if a contaminated bottle would stop carbonation, if it kills the yeast I guess it would?

2 weeks is not enough time to get consistent carbonation. One bottle may have slightly more yeast, or was on the warmer side of the case, or a dozen other factors could be at play. The mantra is 3 weeks at 70F at minimum to carbonate. Some styles will need much more time to carbonate.

Wait a few more weeks. If your priming sugar was mixed in evenly your carbonation should come up and be pretty consistent bottle to bottle.

I put the sugar in the entire batch. Ive used different size bottles so I dont know if thats a factor in it at all.

Yes it should be mixed evenly. I put the priming sugar in first before I transfered the beer into the bottling bucket.

I am just curious, did you dissolve the priming sugar in hot water before adding. The method given to me was boil water for ten minutes, take it off the heat then add the sugar, to ensure even mixing.

Yes I boiled the priming sugar in water for 5 minutes. I followed the directions I had.

Back