Some aviation pics, vids...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Continental B757 at 37,000 feet crossing over us at 35,000 feet enroute from Denver to Toronto... You can see the Pratt & Whitneys... I like the look of them much more than the Rolls Royce.

More to come, been snapping pics and vids the past couple trips.

All transport aircraft have what they call TCAS...

Traffic Collision Avoidance System... but even with 1,000' of spacing you get no warnings. Basically just look out and say... hey, sweet, look at this dude, where is my camera?

They only separate aircraft by 1,000 feet up there anyway in RVSM airspace. Since we were going the same direction though, we were both at odd altitudes and thus 2,000' apart. Once we cleared him we climbed to 37,000' to reduce the fuel burn a bit and picked up a couple knots on the tail.

It is pretty easy to pick out aircraft up there though, with no clouds and clearly visible contrails.

Hey pol I was wondering something...I saw some new vids of the Hudson "landing" on cnn today...basically you see the plane still floating/drifitng forward from it's own momentum..

How the heck was he able to come in so flat that he was able to keep the plane afloat...and also not lose the wings? Don't the wings usually get sheared off from the drag of the water when it hits?

Pikes Peak, flying the STAR into KDEN

P1020246.jpg

Home town from 37,000' (Mt Pleasant, MI)

P1020250.jpg

Dallas Fort Worth flying the SID out of KDFW

P1020274.jpg

Hey pol I was wondering something...I saw some new vids of the Hudson "landing" on cnn today...basically you see the plane still floating/drifitng forward from it's own momentum..

How the heck was he able to come in so flat that he was able to keep the plane afloat...and also not lose the wings? Don't the wings usually get sheared off from the drag of the water when it hits?

The engine pylons tore away, reducing the drag on the wings (no engines attached). It took great skill and mettle to land it so nicely on that river. Basically you would drag it in as slow as possible, in a very nose high attitude so that the aircraft would decelerate somewhat prior to fully impacting the surface of the water.

Tulsa, OK from 37,000'

P1020275.jpg

Chicago smog coming in on the Bradford STAR for runway 28

P1020280.jpg

I have some cool nightime videos and pics too... one is really nice. It is the ILS 24R into Montreal, Quebec... I will get that up soon.

Glad you like em, we take these views for granted, I admit... but they are cool to go back to and look at. I thought it would be nice to share some of the cool things that we see with you all...

What do you shoot stills with??? If you can stick a neutral density filter on it will cut through some of the haze...They're still awesome, but and ND filter will make them pop out so much more.

Part of the problem is that many shots are from 37,000'... so 7 miles up. On top of that I am just using a Panasonic Lumix with 10x zoom. It is just a regular ol' digital camera.

Not to mention I am taking them through scratched up airliner windows...

Part of the problem is that many shots are from 37,000'... so 7 miles up. On top of that I am just using a Panasonic Lumix with 10x zoom. It is just a regular ol' digital camera.

Not to mention I am taking them through scratched up airliner windows...

Yeah I was thinking you have a few things working against you....aren't those windows like over an inch thick???

Nice! Nothing like a view from the sky.

Thanks... I am getting some pics and videos together to sort of detail a "day in the life". It could be pretty cool, and since I get called to do presentations for elementary schools around here, it may be a nice thing that the kids would enjoy.

Yeah I was thinking you have a few things working against you....aren't those windows like over an inch thick???

Awww, no, maybe about 1/2" or so... (still thick) but they get scratched over time. Mainly my window on the captains side, because that side window gets rubbed by the jetway all the time, so it gets much more scratched.

No, I do not... I JUST started compiling this stuff last week, so I am 8 days of flying into it. Some days there are no real good photo ops... others there are many. Even then, some just do not turn out well enough to use, and at 500 knots, you only get one shot sometimes.

I have a question for you. Do you fly the same plane all the time or do you sometimes climb into the cockpit only to discover the last pilot was a slob and got ketchup all over the controls?

The_Pol said:
Thanks... I am getting some pics and videos together to sort of detail a "day in the life". It could be pretty cool, and since I get called to do presentations for elementary schools around here, it may be a nice thing that the kids would enjoy.

I use to do career day every year when I was in the military. Its pretty cool to have a bunch of kids who think your job is the s***. I would always wear my uniform and I was usually the career that had the coolest stories and most interest by the kids, but I am pretty sure a pilot would probably beat me. If any of the other presenters brought any type of animal, they usually beat me too. Usually the stupid police officer who has a working dog.

I have a question for you. Do you fly the same plane all the time or do you sometimes climb into the cockpit only to discover the last pilot was a slob and got ketchup all over the controls?

I use to do career day every year when I was in the military. Its pretty cool to have a bunch of kids who think your job is the s***. I would always wear my uniform and I was usually the career that had the coolest stories and most interest by the kids, but I am pretty sure a pilot would probably beat me. If any of the other presenters brought any type of animal, they usually beat me too. Usually the stupid police officer who has a working dog.

We fly a couple different a/c each day... some pilots are slobs yes. That is where handi-wipes come in... um, handi?

My daughters classes have me come in as well, I wear the uniform and the kids think it is the sh## too. Unfortunately, due to media and peoples irrational fears, it takes about 2 minutes for the conversation to turn to "have you ever crashed?" "have you ever been on fire?" "are you afraid of dying in a crash?"...
Kids are freaking morbid... really.

Thanks for the pics man. Keep them coming. I have a couple of the grand canyon, sedona, southern UT, and the sierras. They are all from the side though. :D

Oh, and I have one of that crazy circle shaped lake up in canada.

I think we should be concerned that our pilots are taking pics when they should be flying the plane, probably has the co-pilot posting them to the net as he's taking them as well. Now that they lock the cockpit doors, I'll bet it's a fricken party up there.:D:rockin:

Seriously though great pics. The views are about the only thing I enjoy about flying as a passenger.

I absolutely love seeing things from your perspective. Thanks for taking the time to share them :)

Can you grab a shot or two of what your controls look like? They are just dumbfounding to me...

Oh, and next time I fly, can I ask to go to the cockpit and drop your name?!? You know, say "the pol said hi!" Maybe get an extra whiskey or something?!!!? :p

We fly a couple different a/c each day... some pilots are slobs yes. That is where handi-wipes come in... um, handi?

My daughters classes have me come in as well, I wear the uniform and the kids think it is the sh## too. Unfortunately, due to media and peoples irrational fears, it takes about 2 minutes for the conversation to turn to "have you ever crashed?" "have you ever been on fire?" "are you afraid of dying in a crash?"...
Kids are freaking morbid... really.

You aint kidding. I was doing CD like 2 years ago for my wife's (then girlfriend's) 5th grade class. So, I finish my little presentation on the ship, my job, navy life, etc etc and I open up the floor for questions. I did CD for like 4 years in a row and I always get the question "Have you ever shot anyone?" but this one kid was especially morbid. He started off asking
"How does it feel to kill someone?"
"I dont know, I have never had to use that type of force"
A few kids ask random questions, then the morbid kid asks...
"If you killed someone, would you get in trouble?"
"If that someone was a threat to myself, my ship, the navy, then no."
A few more kids ask questions and the whole time the morbid kid had his hand up but I purposly did not select him because I know he is going to ask another wierd question. So, now he is the only kid with his hand up and I take his final question.
"If you had to kill someone what do they do with the body of the guy you shot?" At this point I simply thanked the kids, gathered my items, and departed the classroom. Talk about a future serial killer!

Kinda OT, but I flew to Chicago today. Middle of the flight you hear the intercom open and one of the pilots says, "Hello."

Like he was answering his cell phone at 37,000 feet.

I absolutely love seeing things from your perspective. Thanks for taking the time to share them :)

Can you grab a shot or two of what your controls look like? They are just dumbfounding to me...

Oh, and next time I fly, can I ask to go to the cockpit and drop your name?!? You know, say "the pol said hi!" Maybe get an extra whiskey or something?!!!? :p

I have some pics of the controls yeap... I will post some here.

If you drop my name, they will probably kick out off the plane :D No no... but hey if you are on one of my flights I will float you a couple drinks on the house.

Kinda OT, but I flew to Chicago today. Middle of the flight you hear the intercom open and one of the pilots says, "Hello."

Like he was answering his cell phone at 37,000 feet.

No signal up there...

The Pol:

DSCN0461.jpg

Electronic Flight Bag:

DSCN0869.jpg

EMB 170 Flight Deck

EMB170FD.jpg

Sort of figured that. It was quite strange.

It is easy to fat finger the PA button while trying to hit the CALL button. Probably trying to call the FAs, and said "hello" only to realize he had punched the wrong button.

I have NEVER done that LOL

Great. Nothing like mass panic 7 miles in the air.:)

Oh no, we were just taking the runway... it was freaking HILARIOUS... I said that, then the captain slammed on the brakes, jarring the plane. :D

The Pol going to work...

P1020257.jpg

Denver, 1800RVR Freezing Fog

P1020247.jpg

Toronto Ceiling

P1020252.jpg

Final Approach, Montreal

P1020259.jpg

Main Panel, Montreal

P1020261.jpg

Night overhead panel

P1020262.jpg