Solo Cup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDGator

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there anyone else out there that drinks all the homebrew in a fancy red solo cup?

I pour 1 beer of each new beer into a glass to see what it looks like. After that, plastic cup time!!
I don't like glass bottles or glasses around because someoe always knocks one over and i end up with glass everywhere.

Nope. Only once did I pour a homebrew into a solo cup, and that was when I was camping. I use pilsner glasses when ever possible, and if not I drink straight out of the bottle. Maybe I am becoming a beer snob, but I am not going to spend all those hours trying to perfect a batch only to drink it out of plastic.

I'm not one of those people that insists on using the proper shape/style of beer glass for each beer style, but whatever I am drinking my beer out of, it needs to be GLASS. Bottle, shaker pint, stein, water glass, coffee mug, highball glass, mason jar, etc it doesn't matter, as long as it's glass (or ceramic). Plastic just makes it taste WRONG to me.

Unless I'm at a kegger drinking hand-pumped horse-piss, no solo cups for me. I don't think I'm that much of a snob, but I work too damn hard on my beer to drink it out of a $#!tty plastic cup.

I got a set of the Sam Adams pint glasses for Christmas last year and love them. They were designed for Boston Lager, I guess, but do a great job allowing you to smell a brew really easily. They're basically like a snifter shape stuck on top of a pint glass that has a laser etched circle on the bottom for bubbles to make a column upward in the glass.

Those are my brew glass of choice generally.

I've been a long time aluminum can guy and now that I'm brewing my own, I really like the way it looks and tastes in a nice glass. Usually use one of the curvy pilsner glasses but the regular "pub" pint works as well. Although I found this one that I might have to add to my collection.

f this s oclock glass.jpg

I drink my kegged ipa and pale ales out of a solo cup. The square design is the best.

You have to be prepared for a golf cart ride or trip to neighbors garage to watch college football games or foosball game at neighbors or Sat. Morning english soccer game at all times

I only use solo cups around hotel pools. Other than that it has to be glass.

I use glass when I can but for the idiots it's clear plastic Solo cups. That way they can appreciate the color of the beer but if they drop it or smash it who cares.

I own nice glassware. I pretty much refuse to drink craft beer from trash.

Typically a pint glass or a dimpled beer mug. I'm not against plastic cups, I just try to limit my garbage.

All the time. Either that or a one pint canning jar

Bombers in a one quart canning jar. :ban: Single pour - you don't stir up the sediment for the second pour.

Hell, I'd use a Solo cup if it had homebrew. I would not drink some beers from a crystal goblet.

Nothing wrong with a red Solo cup. A red Solo cup screams party! Every time I see one it takes me back to my 'High School kegger' days. I once spent and entire weekend with a 1/2 keg in my parents bathtub filled with ice. Just took a shower around it. Ahh...Good times! :tank:

The perfect song for you since nobody else posted this [ame="http://youtu.be/BKZqGJONH68"]red solo cup[/ame]

I've noticed that people that come to my house and drink my kegged beer in solo cups have the tendency to not drink all their beer. They end up drink half a cup and then grabbing a new cup.

stonecutter2 said:
I got a set of the Sam Adams pint glasses for Christmas last year and love them. They were designed for Boston Lager, I guess, but do a great job allowing you to smell a brew really easily. They're basically like a snifter shape stuck on top of a pint glass that has a laser etched circle on the bottom for bubbles to make a column upward in the glass. Those are my brew glass of choice generally.

I use the Sam adams glasses too, i think they are the Best beer glasses i have ever tried...short of a stein!

Nope....well maybe if I am at someone else's house. It has to be glass when I am at home. Even if you can't/don't want to have glass around there are far better choices out there. They have beer "glasses" that are heavy duty plastic and reusable. You worked hard at making your homebrew why cheapen it by drinking it out of a plastic cup. Think of cooking up a nice, gourmet meal and then putting it on a paper plate....same thing.

You'll never truly appreciate a beer for what it is out of a solo cup. You'll still be able to enjoy a beer, sure, but I prefer not to drink fine beer out of a party cup. There's a reason for everything, and there's a reason for the design of beer glasses. Now, there's also a reason for red solo cups...PARTTTYYYYYYYY!!!!

I can buy beer glasses and mugs for $1 at the $1 stores, so no, I don't use solo cups. I do like the song though, it's fun, but it's not something that I'd like so much that I'd degrade my lifestyle to conform to.

fuzzy2133 said:
I would drink from a solo cup before drinking straight from the bottle.

+1

If it comes down to a solo cup or the bottle, I'll take the solo cup and avoid getting the yeast swirled around in the beer. If given a choice though, I'd prefer glassware, even if just a regular pint glass.

If clumsiness and cost are the issues, just buy some wide mouth pint mason jars. They are far sturdier than most actual beer glassware, pretty cheap (about $12/12 pack at the hardware store) and also, you know, not ****ty plastic disposable cups.

Back