Solitary brewer ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solo here as well. I brew outside so during the mash and boil, I’m usually cleaning up one of my previous five projects in the garage.
With kids around the house it’s practically impossible to plan a brew day. I usually find myself with a free afternoon or evening and decide to brew.
Lately ive been mashing one night, then sticking wort in the keezer and doing the boil later in the week.

By default I brew alone. If I've got the free day that works for me I'm not waiting for anyone. And I've got my system that works for me. But I do get a lot of interest from friends who want to come see the process. I never turn them down because I like to share the knowledge. They usually sit there and watch and drink while I do my thing.

When I started out, I would brew with my pal that got me started brewing; I was brewing on homemade equipment so he'd help me troubleshoot my equipment and process. Since, I've brewed alone and in groups, but mostly alone now. I find that when other people are around, drinking occurs and there are a lot more missed readings, fire drills to get equipment ready for the next step, etc. I make better beer sober and solo.

i usually Brew solo. Sometimes a friend comes over. We usually make a larger batch and split it, so the extra hands are nice.

For now,( I brew in his garage) my dad helps (if you want to call it that) he basically helps by doing the clean up of the tools. He pops in from time to time to chit chat. But as far as the work is concern, it’s all me. I enjoy the times when I’m alone more because I can just sit back, listen to music, and enjoy the aromas.

I brew solo but I'm not usually alone. My wife and daughter are home most of the time as I brew. They will always help if asked but I have my process dialed in and rarely need to ask. Once or twice a year I brew with my brother, and also at my lhbs for special events but 90% of the time it's at home on the weekends.

I like putting Youtube on to play music and document the brewday in between my brewing duties.

I brew alone too. Usually it’s at night after everyone else in the house is asleep, so it’s very quiet. But I enjoy that.
I work alone, my wife will help me if she is awake but generally I brew when everyone is already asleep. Much easier without kids running in and out of the kitchen.

I brew solo. A couple times I've had someone over for a brew day, and I don't like it at all. I'm a creature of habit, and need to stick to my routine. If someone is around too much BSing goes on, I can't concentrate on what I want to do, and I usually forget to do something. Plus, I don't really like people in general.

me and my son hang out while i brew it’s pretty cool, otherwise i just brew alone i think i am the only homebrewer within a 200 mile radius of where i live lol

I brew solo. A couple times I've had someone over for a brew day, and I don't like it at all. I'm a creature of habit, and need to stick to my routine. If someone is around too much BSing goes on, I can't concentrate on what I want to do, and I usually forget to do something. Plus, I don't really like people in general.

Lol!

I brew alone
With nobody else
Yeah, you know when I brew alone
I prefer to be
By myself

(yes. You all were thinking it)
Nope I was thinking

So I go down the streets,
Down to my good friend's house
I said "Look man, I'm outdoors, propane you know,
Can I brew wicha inside on your electric rig maybe a couple times?"
He said "Uh, let me go and ask my wife"
He come out of the house,
I could see in his face
I knowed it was "no"
He said "I don't know man, ah she kinda funny, an' all"
I said "I know, everybody funny, now you funny too"
So I go back home

Been brewing alone ever since

I'm the only beer drinker in the house, so I'm the only beer brewer in the house! My fiance thinks it's a great hobby, but she's about as interested in brewing as I am in watching her true crime shows. Lol.

Jumping on the bandwagon, I love the quiet time early in the morning. My husband has helped with some heavy lifting in the past, but for the most part his participation is as taster and consumer. A co-worker has dabbled in partial mash and wants to learn all grain, but I'll agree with what someone said above; lots of brewing is sitting around waiting for the next step, and I don't do small talk well.

I brew alone as long as I keep the tabs flowing she’s happy and she leaves me alone and it’s cool she’ll let me buy what I need for Brewing

I brew alone, unless im tryin to teach someone a typical brew day. I brew early... Like 5am start when possible. Cleaned up, showered and with the wifey by 1 pm for a ball game, or whatever.
I get into a groove, lots ta do. Crank some tunes, sip the coffee, get er done! Wifey dont drink, even my most orange, or pumpkin beer just "tastes like beer, yuck" so theres no incentive for her ta come help. She does pick up the spent grains to make the doggie treats at the end of the mash tho.. Im happy, shes happy, mutts r extatic... all's good.

I’ve only brewed with another person ‘helping’ once. I get up early and normally brew first thing in the AM (0600-0630 start) which usually eliminates everyone else.

As a retiree, I brew alone in the brew barn. If we have the family here (rarely), then they will be in and out getting beer and making small talk which I'm fine with. Otherwise, my wife will assist with dough-in occasionally and frequently pops in to pull a pint for her as she works in the yard or inside. My routine is what it is and I like it that way. I have the jazz playing and there is no drinking by me until the wort is in the fermentor. For clean up, however, the taps are open, the music is loud, fast and eclectic. Did I mention, I love my life!

I brew solo but I'm not usually alone. My wife and daughter are home most of the time as I brew. They will always help if asked but I have my process dialed in and rarely need to ask. Once or twice a year I brew with my brother, and also at my lhbs for special events but 90% of the time it's at home on the weekends.

I like putting Youtube on to play music and document the brewday in between my brewing duties.

This is basically me, too. I brew alone but my wife and/or father-in-law are usually at home. It's nice to have someone around if I need a hand for a few minutes but they're more than happy to just leave me to it.

Solo. Sometimes a friend will come over and I’ll go through the process with him. Wife doesn’t like beer. She is good with me brewing as long as I make a bit of wine and mead. I have friends who brew, but it’s difficult to arrange schedules. No that I have my process dialed in, I’m good with brewing alone. I do miss my old dog. He would hang out with me all day long.
Cheers and here’s to you Wally.

Just wondering, how many are solitary brewers and how many like to brew with friends or as a group.
I personally prefer to be a solitary brewer. It's my "me time". My wonderful wife understands and usually plans a girls day for brew day. Brew day for me is a stress reliever where I can forget about everything for a while.
How do you brew?
I'm a solitary brewer, and it helps forgetting everything else! A friend sometimes spend some time with me during the boil and the transfer on the fermenter...

Started brewing with my old man and spent a few years as the assistant but when he gave it up I got the brewery and am now brewing solo. It's nice and relaxing to brew alone, but I do enjoy drinking with friends/family while brewing.

I also brew alone and I actually enjoy it more than brewing together with somebody else. I have had brew sessions with people, but the brew days kept getting longer, and I did not enjoy it.

Now I can brew 2 x 5 gallons batches in 10-11 hours per day, so thatøs very comfortable for me.

Nope I was thinking

So I go down the streets,
Down to my good friend's house
I said "Look man, I'm outdoors, propane you know,
Can I brew wicha inside on your electric rig maybe a couple times?"
He said "Uh, let me go and ask my wife"
He come out of the house,
I could see in his face
I knowed it was "no"
He said "I don't know man, ah she kinda funny, an' all"
I said "I know, everybody funny, now you funny too"
So I go back home

Been brewing alone ever since

This is perfect, I’m printing and framing this in my man cave !!

When I first started brewing in 2002 I brewed solo. I brewed solo for many years and loved the time to focus on the brew day process and create good beer. Jumping forward to the last few years my older sons (I have three), got interested in brewing and it is a real treat to brew with them when they show up from time to time on a scheduled brew day. They will brew with me individually or sometimes they all show up. I really treasure the quality time with them creating something we all can enjoy later, and that we made together. Definitely a male bonding thing and we talk about life and spend quality "Dad Time" together. Two of them are married and I have two beautiful grandchildren. So they will bring the wives and I get to see the grandchildren as well (which is even better than brewing), and my wife will make a dinner for all of us later to all enjoy. Love those brew days. My sons know the process and they actively participate helping the whole day. I also appreciate the help when it comes time to lift my 14 gallon conical into the upright freezer!

One of my son's friends (who we kinda adopted and consider family), also loves quality craft beer and he also loves to brew. When he first saw my system his jaw dropped to the floor, and he asked if he could come by and brew with me when I brew. He will come around on brew days when he can and he brews with me as well. In summary now I usually have either one or all of my sons, or my "adopted son" brew with me, and I am not alone on brew days. So I used to be a solo brewer for years but now seem to have company on brew days. Brewing by myself will never get old (and once in a while I still brew alone), but I do now also enjoy sharing the brewing process and brew days with other people that are close to me. Such a fun hobby!

John

When I first started brewing in 2002 I brewed solo. I brewed solo for many years and loved the time to focus on the brew day process and create good beer. Jumping forward to the last few years my older sons (I have three), got interested in brewing and it is a real treat to brew with them when they show up from time to time on a scheduled brew day. They will brew with me individually or sometimes they all show up. I really treasure the quality time with them creating something we all can enjoy later, and that we made together. Definitely a male bonding thing and we talk about life and spend quality "Dad Time" together. Two of them are married and I have two beautiful grandchildren. So they will bring the wives and I get to see the grandchildren as well (which is even better than brewing), and my wife will make a dinner for all of us later to all enjoy. Love those brew days. My sons know the process and they actively participate helping the whole day. I also appreciate the help when it comes time to lift my 14 gallon conical into the upright freezer!

One of my son's friends (who we kinda adopted and consider family), also loves quality craft beer and he also loves to brew. When he first saw my system his jaw dropped to the floor, and he asked if he could come by and brew with me when I brew. He will come around on brew days when he can and he brews with me as well. In summary now I usually have either one or all of my sons, or my "adopted son" brew with me, and I am not alone on brew days. So I used to be a solo brewer for years but now seem to have company on brew days. Brewing by myself will never get old (and once in a while I still brew alone), but I do now also enjoy sharing the brewing process and brew days with other people that are close to me. Such a fun hobby!

John
Jcav, it sounds like you have a very special family. It's awesome that you get to spend such quality time with them doing something that you all enjoy.

I have participated in a homebrew club "big brew", and I enjoyed it. I may do it again sometime. But mostly I prefer to go it alone.

It's very stress-relieving -- even when like yesterday; a sudden downpour starts when my beer is almost finished boiling on the back deck, and I'm standing over it with an umbrella. (the sky was clear when I started, it was just a 45 minute boil, and there was no mention of rain in the forecast or even the current conditions) I was telling Wife about it later; it was annoying, but not all that bad because I got a good story out of it. She said it must have been some well-needed therapy for me to have such a good attitude about it.

BTW, the OG on yesterday's beer is uncharacteristically low, my efficiency is usually very consistent 75%, but I think I got an extra half gallon or so of wort.

I have participated in a homebrew club "big brew", and I enjoyed it. I may do it again sometime. But mostly I prefer to go it alone.

It's very stress-relieving -- even when like yesterday; a sudden downpour starts when my beer is almost finished boiling on the back deck, and I'm standing over it with an umbrella. (the sky was clear when I started, it was just a 45 minute boil, and there was no mention of rain in the forecast or even the current conditions) I was telling Wife about it later; it was annoying, but not all that bad because I got a good story out of it. She said it must have been some well-needed therapy for me to have such a good attitude about it.

BTW, the OG on yesterday's beer is uncharacteristically low, my efficiency is usually very consistent 75%, but I think I got an extra half gallon or so of wort.
winter brewing .jpg

i know the feeling. Had 4 inches at the end of a 60 minute boil.

53 batches in and I've only brewed with somebody else twice. Not that I don't want to, just hard to match up schedules. My wife doesn't really drink beer, so she's not really interested in helping. Sometimes, my 3.5 year old son will ask what I'm doing and wants to help. He stirred the pot the other day when I mashed in and since it was a 1 gallon batch, he helped dump ice in the sink and filled it with water since I wasn't using a chiller (no point with a 1 gallon batch).

I work weekends about once every 5 weeks, so I'll get a day off in the middle of the week and I usually use it to brew by myself with no distractions. Sometimes, that 3.5 year old helper is more trouble than he's worth. LOL

I have always been a Solo Brewer ( 2002 )

Started out with the kit my wife bought as X-mas present, in the kitchen
She sat threw one brew to see what it was like, another friend asked to "help"
and preceded to pepper me with questions for 3 hrs, never really helped....

When my son was born, it was away to Hide from the craziness of baby time ( 2007 )
( by then i had moved out to the garage )

And once he got big enough, to know HOT from NO !!! ( about 5 )
He "helped" out a few times.... He liked the timer
He makes his Lego projects, asks lots of questions.... he is not real fond of the smell

Once i got my Electric Brewery going in the basement - He is not really
interested in "Helping" - but since it is Summer, there are a lot more FUN things to do
outside on a Saturday, than stay in the basement with Dad.

garage.jpg basement.jpg

Last edited:
I'm the only beer drinker in the house, so I'm the only beer brewer in the house! My fiance thinks it's a great hobby, but she's about as interested in brewing as I am in watching her true crime shows. Lol.

My wife watches those, too... I swear she's trying to figure out how to get rid of me!

Solo brewer, here, too. I used to brew with a friend, and I've visited a couple other brewers to see their rigs. But, I like the "me time" of brewing alone.

When I did brew with a friend, he used to pay for the ingredients, and I'd supply the equipment and knowledge and we'd split the batch, so, that was kinda nice!

Last edited:
I’m about half and half. When I want to have people around I’ll send a group text out to those I know will enjoy it and lend a hand. I’ve had after work happy hours/brew nights as well. Those are fun. I look at it this way. If I want to be precise I brew alone usually early am on weekends. If I want to share beer and have a good time I’ll open the garage door on a nice afternoon and offer drinks to neighbors or send a group text out. I’m a social animal for sure. To me life is about experiences and sharing those experiences with people you enjoy and care about. The awesome beer is just gravy.

I usually brew solo these days. When I started I almost always had friends over, even if they knew nothing about brewing, just because it was a fun experience to share. These days I usually start early and find my brew days go quicker and smoother if I’m running solo. Fewer distractions and a sober mind go a long way. I’ll still occasionally have friends over, if they are brewers we’ll often do double sized batches but that’s the exception, not the rule.

Exactly how I felt when I brewed together with others. Brewing alone now, has resulted in much shorter brew days. Something like from 7-8 hours to a mere 5-5 and a half hours, and I will keep it this way.

Solo brewer here too. I like to get started about 6am Sunday mornings ( the only time I ever voluntarily get up early ), I enjoy the peace and quiet and the only other person up at that time is my dog. On a quick brew day I can be done by 10am

Latest posts

Back