Soft Drink Syrup & Corny Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angry_gopher

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm using the wrong forum.

I can buy 20-litre bags of soft drink syrup from the local-ish Coke bottler but I don't have a 'proper' system. I thought it may be possible to field engineer a solution by mixing the syrup & water mixture in a corny keg & force carbonating. Has anyone done this?

I do exactly that. I bought the 5 gallon bag in a box of coke and dr. Pepper from Sams club. They mix 5:1 water to syrup. It works great for me. I set at 15 psi, let it carb over a week or so and it is good to go.

I do exactly that. I bought the 5 gallon bag in a box of coke and dr. Pepper from Sams club. They mix 5:1 water to syrup. It works great for me. I set at 15 psi, let it carb over a week or so and it is good to go.

Cool, so you just pre-mix in the keg? So I could then just take 101.33oz of syrup and 506oz of water, let carb and enjoy? I didn't even think about this.

I would think youd wanna at least mix it up somehow no? Or the syrup would settle on the bottom.

I mix them directly in the keg. I have a 1 gallon apple juice jug with a line at 2.8 litres. I put 2 or 3 jugs of water, a jug of syrup then the remaining water. I shake it up well and haven’t had any problems with settling.

Boasist, I think your measurements are off. I do 2.8 litres of syrup and 14 litres of water for a total of 16.8 litres in the keg.

Boasist, I think your measurements are off. I do 2.8 litres of syrup and 14 litres of water for a total of 16.8 litres in the keg.
Thank you. Now if I could find some natural syrups without HFCS.

I'm trying this now. I've had the mixture on gas for 3 days at 25psi. I poured some out this morning and there was no carbonation. Not sure what happens. Keezer is set to 37 degrees, perhaps that is too cold and the water is freezing up?

What temperature do you all use for soda?

I shook it up and it was moving around in there, I poured some more out yet no bubbles.

I have my pop in the same keezer as my beer, all around 42F. My pop always takes about a week to carb up, sometimes longer. 3 days may not be enough time, I’d let it sit a bit longer.

Back