Soft crash in fermenter or keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mijclarke

Reaction score
I have conical fermenter, a corny keg with spunding valve and a CO2 tank. I don’t have an attachment for fermenter to perform a closed transfer. I’m worried about oxidation from soft crashing and then adding 2oz dry hop. Any advice on how to proceed that doesn’t involve much added cost?

Which fermenter is it?

I’ve read about people using a co2 filled balloon to help with o2 suck back when cold crashing. Maybe check that out?

As far as transferring, I’m pretty sure you can push sanitizer out of the keg to purge it and perform a gravity transfer. Keg in to fermenter bung.

Tons of videos on YouTube for both. ^

I haven’t needed to do any of this, as I have an all rounder. I also fermenter and serve in corny kegs. Might be worth a shot? Just need a floating dip tube. I rock the FlotIt V2.

Im not familiar with a keg washer but the FLOTit 2.0 dip tube would likely slide off post unless you secured it with some kind of clamp that’s not included with dip tube. And on the other end the tube could detach from filter

Not sure what special attachment one would need to preform closed transfer. Just connect up CO2 tank to blow off tube at top of fermentor, attach liquid line post to line coming from racking port on fermentor, and let beer displace gas in corny keg. Set CO2 regulator for 2 or 3 PSI, open gas and racking port. I place keg on milk crate(and scale) below fermentor for gravity assist, but it works if both at same level also.

To minimize oxidation, pre purge keg with CO2, either with fermentation gas, or later by multiple purges or liquid displacement.

It helps to used scale if batch is greater than 5 gallons, so one can keep some headspace in the keg(s).

Back