SodaStream for beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsmith1625

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last night I opened a growler I filled on Christmas Eve morning and the beer was completely flat, but It still had 2 pints left in it that I didn't want to go to waste. I poured a pint and took a sip thinking that maybe I could drink it anyway, just to get rid of it. After my second sip I realized that wasn't going to happen. Then I spotted my wife's brand new SodaStream sitting on the counter. Now she just got it for Christmas so we don't have much experience with it yet, but why not. I could quickly force carb my flat beer. I asked the wife what she thought and she said why not give it a try. BAD IDEA! I filled a bottle and connected it to the machine, then hit the button to start it up. Instantly my flat beer erupted into an out of control volcano of foam shooting out in every direction. I froze in panic for a second and then pulled the bottle out of the machine to stop the chaos. Afraid that I had just ruined her brand new Christmas gift, I started cleaning up the mess. I ran a few bottles of water to make sure it still worked and to rinse it and it still works great. Now as the foam left in the bottle settled back to liquid beer, it was flat as when I first poured it from the growler. I know there are other solutions for flat beer, but just a warning to everyone, the SodaStream is not one of them.

Last night I opened a growler I filled on Christmas Eve morning and the beer was completely flat, but It still had 2 pints left in it that I didn't want to go to waste. I poured a pint and took a sip thinking that maybe I could drink it anyway, just to get rid of it. After my second sip I realized that wasn't going to happen. Then I spotted my wife's brand new SodaStream sitting on the counter. Now she just got it for Christmas so we don't have much experience with it yet, but why not. I could quickly force carb my flat beer. I asked the wife what she thought and she said why not give it a try. BAD IDEA! I filled a bottle and connected it to the machine, then hit the button to start it up. Instantly my flat beer erupted into an out of control volcano of foam shooting out in every direction. I froze in panic for a second and then pulled the bottle out of the machine to stop the chaos. Afraid that I had just ruined her brand new Christmas gift, I started cleaning up the mess. I ran a few bottles of water to make sure it still worked and to rinse it and it still works great. Now as the foam left in the bottle settled back to liquid beer, it was flat as when I first poured it from the growler. I know there are other solutions for flat beer, but just a warning to everyone, the SodaStream is not one of them.
Every year, a soda stream story pops up. Sorry to say that, but I love them :D

I love stories like this. A) involves homebrew flying everywhere B) involves an attempt to "repurpose" innocent non-brewing device for the good of homebrew.
Thanks for posting!

I love stories like this. A) involves homebrew flying everywhere B) involves an attempt to "repurpose" innocent non-brewing device for the good of homebrew.
Thanks for posting!
I'll also post my success stories if I have any. Like cold crashing in a pressurized Fermonster. Works great!

Back