Soda siphon without disposable cartridges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logank

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a duplicate but I didn't find anything with a quick search of the old threads. I've been looking at soda siphons and systems like the Sodastream to make small amounts of things like tonic and ginger beer, but my hesitation is the co2 cartridges. Since I have a co2 tank for kegging, it seems like a waste to have to buy disposable cartridges for each use of a soda siphon, or the expensive refills for the Sodastream. Does anyone know of a workaround for this? Refillable small cartridges for a siphon would be ideal, but I've done some looking around and it seems like this hasn't really been accomplished for a moderate price.

Thanks for any ideas!

I haven't, but that seems like it could be a good option. I'll do some looking into it, thanks.

Yup, best $15 item for carbonating. If you want to go cheaper, you build a cap using tire valves and a tire filler. I'm lazy and like to keep the ball lock on my gas line so I use the premade cap and a 2 liter, 8 oz or 12 oz bottle.

Yeah, I saw some of the DIY options, but for the ease of quickly disconnecting the ball lock from on of the kegs and hooking it straight to the bottle, I think I can manage the $15.

I think I would still like to see a reply to the OP's regard to his question, because I am interested as well. I find the siphon is ideal for zero loss of carbonation when I'm on the go. Is it even possible????

We answered as we did since the op was looking for an inexpensive option using a co2 tank and not buying other equipment. We also assumed home use, not travel. By only buying the one carbonator cap, it would be more cost effective than a new sodastream or seltzer bottle.

Sodastream; you could potentially use an adapter to either refill a tank, or to use the larger tank as the co2 source.

Cartidges. Ive not seen refillable cartridges and the only refiller that was out for a while would wind up wasting co2 anyways, since it encased a special cartridge and you had to pressurize the entire unit to some high psi. Ive been looking since I do have a seltzer bottle from ISI that uses 12g cartridges. Its easier to bring a 2.5# co2 tank, regulator and cap sometimes.

Have you thought about using a used cartridge, tapping it and connecting a line? You may have to "customize" the Sodastream for the hose, but it should not be to much.

Have you thought about using a used cartridge, tapping it and connecting a line? You may have to "customize" the Sodastream for the hose, but it should not be to much.

I have actually been looking at this too since I was also interested in an actual soda siphon. I pretty much came to the conclusion that you would have to modify a cartridge and the cartridge holder to be able to do it. The way I have seen discussed was basically drilling and tapping an existing cartridge. Never actually seen someone do it though.

For the soda stream I found http://co2doctor.com/.... it seems a bit expensive though. They have both a refill adapter, and an actual adapter + regulator to connect a real CO2 tank to a sodastream. I think they run in the $100 range and actually include a custom made adapter.... I haven't tried this either due to the cost. (and my existing setup with a carbonator and keg in the fridge).

Curious if people found others.

-Eric

Something that is already out there, is IZH Drozd Bulk-Fill Adapter. I just googled co2 airsoft adapter and looked for the cartridge with a hose on it. They make them for paintball as well.

Edited:

Pretty neat, the connection that goes to the paintball tank, would it fit a 5lb tank? If so, would I have to pass it through my regulator? Also, if I were to use the mini cartridge on the other side of the cable and hook it up to the siphon, will I just fill it like I always do like a PET bottle until the gas fades away? What PSI do the mini cartridges hold? (which is why I asked if I needed to use a regulator).

Thanks in advanced... If this works out I might be buying it.

I was looking bulk fill adapters too, though I was in an area with a poor connection and trying to do it through my phone as well as leave the previous message (bad idea).

A problem is that airguns, from what I understand and I'm likely wrong since I don't own one, or have looked into them, is that unlike soda charging, the co2 is released in small bursts to propel the round. This means that a single 12g co2 cartridge can propel several rounds either by using the co2 cartridge to fill an internal reservoir or dispenses directly from the cartridge. A brief lookup says that a single 12g cartridge can power anywhere from 40-100 shots
A co2 cartridge of any size is about 900psi at standard temperature. However, this is 900psi in a small device. Pressure to volume equations will say that the larger container of a bottle (seltzer bottle) has a lower pressure when charged by a single cartridge.
An airsoft gun appears to have an internal valve that dispenses the air in brief amounts from a cartridge directly to fire a round. Neither a seltzer bottle, nor a soda bottle has this restriction. You might be able to use a soda stream since it does have a valve that dispenses small amounts without a regulator. Otherwise, you will have 900psi going directly into the seltzer bottle.

If you were to fill a seltzer bottle from a large tank, you would need a regulator, or a way to limit how much co2 you're sending in. The bulk fill adapter does not have this. (Again, the airsoft gun has a valve that limits this). The bulk fill adapters don't have a regulator and I'm not sure what it would take to modify one (other than about $100 for a regulator)

Also, the bulk fill adapters are made to fit onto a paintball tank thread. You would need to purchase an adapter to fit a larger tank. This would be the reverse of the adapter that allows a normal co2 regulator (made for larger tanks) to fit onto a paintball tank.

A question though, why use a 5 pound tank on a seltzer bottle? At that point, skip the seltzer bottle and get the carbonator cap. You can even use a 20oz paintball co2 tank this way, though you'd still need a regulator and connection. The minor amount of co2 lost when opening a bottle to pour vs buying extra equipment would probably need to undergo a cost breakdown analysis.

The best option for a replacement cartridge would be a refillable one. Even at the best though, you'd have to have a fill capsule that's rated for 900-1800 psi and a way to seal the cartridge for use. And you're going to lose co2 to the space that the cartridge fits inside unless you have a direct valve in the thing.

For some reason, I thought I heard complaints about the co2doctor thing in this forum. I could be mistaken though. However, I have seen pictures of people modifying a sodastream to take a line. Plus, if you don't have any thing and are researching, it's cheaper to spend the money on a larger co2 tank and keg and stick it in a fridge.

If you were to fill a seltzer bottle from a large tank, you would need a regulator, or a way to limit how much co2 you're sending in. The bulk fill adapter does not have this. (Again, the airsoft gun has a valve that limits this). The bulk fill adapters don't have a regulator and I'm not sure what it would take to modify one (other than about $100 for a regulator)

Let's assume I already cater to a 5Lb tank and use a carbonation cap for my PET bottle, if I wanted to fill a seltzer bottle wouldn't I already have the regulator from my tank to fill the seltzer bottle? And question, you mentioned the cartridge might disperse increments of co2 or on a paintball gun, does the mini cartridge dispense the same method for seltzer or does it completely empty it in the first shot?

And yes I know it might be a waste but I could always try it out for a bit and give it to family member as a present. It's a nice sodastream replacement for the party goer! :)

P.S. Any idea what this adapter for the paintball thread to regulator thread is called? Or perhaps a link? thanks

Was trying to do that yesterday but the computer I was at has a broken key and I use my paste function to type 'm'. Makes it difficult to copy/paste. Plus, it appears that the store has different variations on the paintball regulator or adapter which I didn't know till just now. http://www.homebrewing.org/search.asp?keyword=paintball

If you're looking at the bulk fill adapter, that's made to fit onto a paintball tank. Not a 5 gallon tank. What you would wind up having to do is cut the air line on the bulk fill adapter, and attach it to your larger regulator (meaning you would lose the connection to your ball/pin lock).

It appears that the valve that allows incremental releases of co2 to fire rounds is built into the airsoft/paintball gun/marker, not a function of the cartridge. Once you pierce the cartridge all the co2 is released (which is what happens in a seltzer bottle, or when launching a co2 model car)

Without going through full prices, you would wind up needing: paintball tank (20-30 bucks), paintball tank regulator (90 bucks), or normal regulator and adapter to fit a paintball tank, and a bulk fill adapter. (how much was that one? 50?). Unless there was a reason to use a seltzer bottle a whole heck of a lot, I think I'll stick with cartridges. Now if I were a resturant that served via seltzer bottles in order to be fancy, I'd reconsider. This would be the sort of place where $50 per plate is the norm anyways and you're expecting some sort of perrier style water.

Also... it appears that there's another problem...

The Drozd uses a standard 12gram charger, which seems to be a general standard for airsoft guns and paintball markers. A selzter bottle generally takes a 8 gram charger. So you'll have to also figure a way around that size difference, unless you have one that takes a 12 gram.

I actually have 2-3 (I swear I had a 3rd somewhere around here) carbonation caps, so I have at least 2 bottles of carbonated water ready and several closed cold bottles. I'd drag those instead. If I were having a cocktail party where carbonated water is used in the drinks and we were using expensive alcohol, I'd probably use the seltzer bottle to be fancy with chargers. If we're already spending money on alcohols, the minor dollar per small water is nothing and it'd barely be used except for something like an old-fashioned. If we're doing a every day/weekend drinking party, I just charge the bottles, recap, and drag the bottles in (in case they get tossed.)

Thanks for the informative reply, now onto the rebound questions. As for your 8 gram vs 12 gram scenario, while that might be true doesn't that mean that the cartridge might be longer in size and the tip of the cartridge is still the same? So that it can fit into the seltzer bottle? If no, then maybe the same bulk fill adapter but for 8 gram chargers?

Secondly, by having the regulator installed and having the proper fitting adapter for the paintball-> 5lb tank, how much PSI would the regulator need to be set for in order to inject the seltzer bottle? I would assume the mini cartridge would just act as middle man and you would just fill the seltzer with the same psi as you would with a PET bottle?

Thirdly, just to confirm on what I would be needing after the fact that I already own a 5lb tank with the hose,regulator. I would just need a new hose, and the adapter from the 5lb tank to a an adapter that would fit a paintball tank?? I should be able to eliminate the paintball tank, paintball regulator since i already have then in bigger size?

ok thanks

Good questions. I'm not too sure about the size differences in he 8g vs 12g. I've never needed.a.12g. If its just longer... maybe. Normally the.chargers are screwed in so it could work that way if thats the case.

I would hazard a guess at the 30 or so psi. Not sure.

And again, I don't know. Its more of a guess on what would need.to be done or potentially done in rregards to parts and connections.

Sorry for the spelling and punctuation, via phone. Ill reply more later.

Sounds good, and I really appreciate your replies they are very helpful. I only stumbled upon abit of a pause when you said you were looking for your third carbonater, as I wasn't sure what you mean by having them on hand? I plan on using 1 carbonater and just replace it with the regular cap of the PET bottle after filling (since there wont be a need to refill the same PET bottle unless it gets flat), but by then I would just open a new bottle that was pressurized from my collection.

Does that make sense? lol just wanted clarification on the multiple carbonater caps as I don't see the point in using more then one, heck I wouldnt even wanna leave it screwed on the bottle knowing how gragile and delicate it is to have one of those. Thanks Kevin.

Okay, to reiterate:
1) It's questionable about the cartridge. After looking it up, it does appear that a 12g cartridge is wider in diameter than an 8g cartridge. (3/4 vs 11/16)Whether or not the recepticle allows for this tolerance is also in question. I'd consider finding someone who might have an empty 12g and see how well it fits first.

2) Regulator Pressure: I'd consider 30 psi. I don't know what the real resulting psi is after a 8g cartridge is dispersed into the container, but I expect it's about that amount when compared to sensory comparisons to bottled carbonated water. I couldn't find a definite answer though on what a generic seltzer can take.

3) I don't know. I expect that instead of the hose currently used on the regulator, you'd use either a) the smaller hose that goes to the bulk fill cartridge replacement, or b) screw the paintball connector end of the bulk fill line into a thread (probably an adapter) that sits on the regulator. Ideally, it'd be b, then you just have to swap back and forth, rather than cut apart the hose.

I used to use one carbonator cap, recapping the bottle with a plain cap, but I got annoyed at the initial co2 release which caused enough of a co2 release to be annoyingly noticeable (barely), so I just started keeping the cap on, and using a second one to pressurize while the first one was being emptied. I swear I have a third carbonator cap somewhere. It was mostly at a time where I would visit the family and go through several 2-L bottles at once that I found it to be easier to spend the money for multiple caps. (Too bulky to drag a whole keg, or mini keg around). I've found that the carbonator caps are pretty durable. I'm not running it over with a car, or trying to crush it in heavy machinery, but I've dropped it a few times on its own without issue. (Haven't dropped a full bottle and had it land on the cap though).

Also, I partially got the second one and third one so I could carbonate small amounts of beers (which would create a bunch of froth when opened due to nucleation points in the liquid, resulting in the inability to switch caps unless the beer sat for a while. Don't quite know why else it didn't work, even when it was chilled close but not quite freezing).

It helped that the beer store I could buy the caps from was very close, so I was able to start at one and consider the effects of having more than one.

And I also have the isi soda siphon that I only use occasionally, and two isi whippers that I use N2O on. The whippers don't matter, but full disclosure helps if I try talking about them.

Ok wonderful, I will be attending a few shops here in the Oshawa/Whitby area to see if I can find a comparison.

Also, is it normal for people to use a keg to store just carbonated water? And if yes, does the process of releasing the co2 only upon serving water to the glass act as the same process as a seltzer? Thanks

P.S.
Found a site that converts 8gram to 12gram, its just a cover so I am assuming the thread is the same? Here is the link
http://www.thebeeressentials.com/kegging/gas-cylinders.shtml
its the 4th item, on the right, 2nd line. Thanks

I also came across this other website, this is supposedly a 12g cartridge soda. I wonder how you would use these?

http://www.mrfizz.com/store/page4.html

422212-BEER.jpg

Looks like I did some more research and the point tip are indeed different sizes.

8g = 8.6mm, 12g = 7.5mm.

Back to Sq. 1

There are some (usually portable) keg dispensing systems that take larger co2 cartridges. It takes either 12 or 16g from what I recall. Actually, on the website, they show some above the picture of the 12g cartridge along with the cartridges. They kind of look like a handheld bike pump. Also on the site is a larger variation.
The tip is different sizes, yes, but I'm not sure if that matters as much as cartridge diameter. I don't know about your seltzer siphon, but the isi's I have have a good amount of tip room and the needle in the center.

You can see that the adapter covers the 8g cartridge so it fits in a 12g holder without slipping. It's that much bigger that I'm not sure an 8g holder works. I don't know if they have one that makes a 12g cartridge fit an 8g holder. Plus, you're going to have to cut away some of the recepticle thread so that air line fits in.

Yes, many of us do use a keg for carbonated water. And, kind of... lets say that the keg is full of water, a tiny bit of airspace between the liquid and lid (termed headspace) and carbonated to 40psi and then you either turn off the gas or disconnect the gas line. Then when you dispense, it acts like a seltzer bottle. The water is dispensed, pushed by the pressure in the keg. However, the increase in headspace means that carbon dioxide exits the water. Eventually the pressure in the headspace starts to drop and the water/beer/etc starts getting flat. This is why you keep adding co2 to a keg either during dispensing or after since the additional co2 will fill the headspace and keep the co2 in the liquid. Usually you won't notice this with a seltzer bottle since there's so little volume that a person goes through it quickly.

I don't have a splitter for my kegs, so I just add co2 every so often and then disconnect the hose. For example, I was bottling beer from a keg yesterday. The beer's headspace started at around 15psi and after 8 bottles, the psi was down to 5, which I noticed because the beer wasn't flowing as fast. I added some co2 to bring it back to 10-15 and kept bottling. I do the same thing with my carbonated water when I have people over.

Eventually I'll get the rest of the parts to have a gas line on the kegs all the time.

Kool I didn't know a keg can act as a seltzer thats good to know. Would I shake the keg like I would with a PET bottle to get the co2 in the liquid much faster or is it best to rock it back and forth for a bit and let it rest?

Some of the threads go into further discussion, but I shake the keg if I'm in a hurry (need it in 10 minutes for example). Otherwise I just keep it in the fridge and put 40-60 psi into the keg every few hours until it's carbed at 40. (cause it's a pain lifting 5 gallons of liquid if I don't need to.) When it's empty, I take it out, rinse it, put it back into my fridge and run a hose (3/8" dia tubing) from the sink to the keg to refill it so I can avoid doing the 5 gallon lift.

Take a look at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/two-kegs-im-sold-using-syrups-variety-rocks-198326/ Tom mentions that he has 2 kegs, one fully carbed, the other in the process of carbing and alternates. I have a beer, a cider, another beer and the water or some variant of cider, beer, wine, mead, sake and water, so I just use one.

Im going to try something next week, let me know if you think it can work.

Going to purchase an 8gram co2 cartridge, saw off the end of the cartridge (the end side that doesnt connect to the selzter bottle, AKA the round end), then connect a gas like and use a clamp to shut it tight. One end of the cartridge (the hack job) will lead to the 5lb tank along with the regulator and such, and the other end of the cartridge will screw into the seltzer bottle?

I assume if the clamp is tight enough to be tightened along a threaded valve Im sure it can be tight enough into the co2 cartridge? And heck, even if it leaks just a tiny bit, im only needing 8grams of co2 anyways.

Let me know if you think this might work, and if it's worth a try? If so i will post some pics (and maybe videos) and show ya. Thanks

Going to purchase an 8gram co2 cartridge, saw off the end of the cartridge (the end side that doesnt connect to the selzter bottle, AKA the round end), then connect a gas like and use a clamp to shut it tight. One end of the cartridge (the hack job) will lead to the 5lb tank along with the regulator and such, and the other end of the cartridge will screw into the seltzer bottle?

I assume if the clamp is tight enough to be tightened along a threaded valve Im sure it can be tight enough into the co2 cartridge? And heck, even if it leaks just a tiny bit, im only needing 8grams of co2 anyways.

Let me know if you think this might work, and if it's worth a try? If so i will post some pics (and maybe videos) and show ya. Thanks

Going to purchase an 8gram co2 cartridge, saw off the end of the cartridge (the end side that doesnt connect to the selzter bottle, AKA the round end), then connect a gas line and use a clamp to shut it tight. One end of the cartridge (the hack job) will lead to the 5lb tank along with the regulator and such, and the other end of the cartridge will screw into the seltzer bottle?

Going to purchase an 8gram co2 cartridge, saw off the end of the cartridge (the end side that doesnt connect to the selzter bottle, AKA the round end), then connect a gas line and use a clamp to shut it tight. One end of the cartridge (the hack job) will lead to the 5lb tank along with the regulator and such, and the other end of the cartridge will screw into the seltzer bottle?

Not sure if it will work, but I'd be interested in seeing the pictures when its done.

One concern, is that usually the clamp on a high pressure item like that uses the ridges on the metal piece to create a tight fit and to prevent slippage. It could be doable, I don' tknow. Let us know how it goes if you do.

I wonder if I used a lathe, how much thickness I have to play with.... Hmmmmm

Edit:

I'm actually thinking of cutting off the back plate just enough to make it hollow, then overlap the co2 cartridge with a steel cylinder but deep enough so that the cartridge can fit into the seltzer bottle without touching the overlapped steel. And of course weld the steel to the cartridge and then have the other side of the steel threaded to my favor so i can apply a hose clamp. I think that might be much more effective and assurance from doubts.

But it's going to take me a while figuring out everything I need and where to find it, but rest assure I will be working on it.

Magic,

One item to take into consideration. The 900 PSI cartridge for the paintball or airsoft guns has no regulator. I would bet the exact same cartridge you use on the soda siphon has the same issue. I would guess the regulator, or restricter, is on the soda siphon itself, not the cartridge. If you use the adapter and add a 22 oz can from walmart, I would assume it would regulate itself the same. If anyone has opened one up, maybe they can add some info of this. It would make sense they would allow a full blast burst of a very short duration to a holding tank with slower release to the bottle. A disposable 900 PSI cartridge or a reusable 900 PSI cartridge should work the same.

Could you just take a piece of solid, not rolled tube, tap the top and bottom and put fittings on it to pair up? the elbow at the bottom would need to match the pressure plate that holds in the cartridge. The top would need to match the seal and clear the piercing end.

Or you could cut the high pressure hose on a store bought adapter and press an end on it to connect to the high pressure side of the regulator.

Yes but unfortunately there aren't any adapters to fit the seltzer bottle, were dealing with 8 grams vs 12 grams.

The soda uses an 8 gram cartridge, the paintball guns use 12 gram...and the bulk fill adapters are all for 12 gram.

Does your soda siphon have an open cartridge holder, or a closed one? I have seen some antique that are metal and open on the side. That could be an easy tap on the side of a cartridge. I saw a video review done by
Kyle S. "Kyle S." (CA) on amazon for a soda siphon. He used a simple swing valve at about 150 PSI and just held it in place where the cartridge goes. Charge, shake, charge, shake, charge then its ready. ****://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61XwUrpL%2BHL.jpg

61XwUrpL%2BHL.jpg

61AEt2AOXyL.jpg

719sVRtFMdL.jpg

610IIq7pREL.jpg

Thats a pretty neat setup right there, looks exactly what I want to do. And is that the brushed aluminium seltzer bottles I've seen selling for around $50? You got the video or parts list you can pm me? This thread is starting grow exceptionally, thanks

Back