Social acceptance - Bringing your children to a brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the parent isn't responsible enough to remove a child during a freak-out, they probably shouldn't take them to see Frozen, either. Doesn't have anything to do with the brewery. This is about manbabies and the caricature of parents and kids they have in their head, not real-life exceptions.

The way our whole country treats children and alcohol is a problem, IMO. It's so taboo. Teach your kids about alcohol and responsibility early and hope it sticks. Hiding it from them isn't the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

True. My nieces & nephews have been allowed to have a sip or 2 of alcoholic beverages once in a while, never much, just a taste & ALWAYS under adult supervision. The eldest, now 20, has ZERO interest in drinking, her choice, she just doesn't like the taste. The middle kid, now 14, likes the taste of good beer, but would rather have a Mountain Dew. The youngest, now 10, can't stand the taste of any alcoholic beverage, but for some reason likes to mix drinks. She mixes Shirley Temples for herself & the other kids; maybe someday she'll be a teetotaling bartender.

Point is, we've taken the mystery out of booze. It's not a "taboo" & they see no point in experimenting with booze. This might change later, when they're out on their own & old enough to drink, but the foundations have already been laid, odds are pretty good that they'll continue to abstain or at the very least practice moderation in drinking.
Regards, GF. :mug:

I think we all know that, but the issue is the very small but visible percentage of parents who aren't as responsible. Perhaps, a brewery isn't the best place for a small child, especially if the parent isn't responsible and doesn't care about the people around them, no?

This is becoming less about "are kids (in general) okay at breweries" and more about "there are a few kids (and their parents) who ruin things by being jerks". Sure, that's true, but how is that really any different from adults who ruin things (at the same places!) by being jerks. Some people are irresponsible idiots who do a good job of ruining a good time, and it doesn't seem to me that it matters much what tool they use to do it -- kid, dog, loud bachelor party, constant flatulence, vomiting on the floor, starting a fight, uncomfortably flirting with the server so the whole operation slows down, etc.

But then, I live in a college town where it's popular to visit local wineries. At this point, I'd rather see a 4-year-old in a brewery than a bunch of 22-year-olds.

I think we all know that, but the issue is the very small but visible percentage of parents who aren't as responsible. Perhaps, a brewery isn't the best place for a small child, especially if the parent isn't responsible and doesn't care about the people around them, no? I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't bring a young child to a brewery, but you should consider the child and the people surrounding you first and then decide if it's a good idea. There are enough people out there who don't, where I think everyone could list at one negative experience at an "adult" venue that's been negatively impacted by a poorly behaving child and even worse behaving parent.

I could say the exact same thing about a supposed adult in many situations. You ever been to a bar with the token drunk loud guy making the atmosphere uncomfortable for everyone else? Or how about the jerk on his cell phone or holding a conversation during a movie? Maybe some jerk fell on you at a Phish concert because he was blasted out of his mind on who knows what (true story). The point is just like the situation you describe, the adults are the issue. Not the children. The children are going to do what they are going to do. It's up to the parents to be responsible and remove the child from a situation/establishment/venue/whatever if he/she acts up. So there are some crappy parents out there who are oblivious to what trouble their child is causing. Does that mean all other parents need to never take their child out in public? I don't think so. And if that is the case, then someone better make sure the loud drunk at the bar stops coming around too, because when I'm out with friends and family, trying to have a good time, I don't want that guy around... just like others don't want the child who may or may not act up around, just in case.

Growing up in a town of 300 in Southern Illinois there wasnt anything but small bars. The bar is where you went to get coffee in the morning. The bar is where you went for Sunday lunch. Hell, the bar is where the kids go to wait on the school bus if its raining. Now that I live in the South its entirely different. Bars are thought of as juke joints. Dont you dare take a child in a bar, brewery, or any similar establishment. Its okay if little Johnnys father is cooking meth in the kitchen but dont let him in where they serve the Devils Elixer-Beer. Im through with my rant. Getting on point. I think its fine as a responsoble parent to take my child to a brewery or even a bar. I have enough common sense to know if we should leave.

This is becoming less about "are kids (in general) okay at breweries" and more about "there are a few kids (and their parents) who ruin things by being jerks". Sure, that's true, but how is that really any different from adults who ruin things (at the same places!) by being jerks. Some people are irresponsible idiots who do a good job of ruining a good time, and it doesn't seem to me that it matters much what tool they use to do it -- kid, dog, loud bachelor party, constant flatulence, vomiting on the floor, starting a fight, uncomfortably flirting with the server so the whole operation slows down, etc.

But then, I live in a college town where it's popular to visit local wineries. At this point, I'd rather see a 4-year-old in a brewery than a bunch of 22-year-olds.

Spot on! I should have just seconded your post before I wrote my own, parroting the same point.

Here in Utah we have what is called the "Zion Curtain" to shield the poor children's eyes from the abhorrent nature of alcohol. It is a 7' 2" wall around the bar area (or a small divider on top of the bar to equal 7' 2") in a restaurant which all alcoholic beverages must be prepared behind. If the restaurant/brewpub has this then it is considered a restaurant and children are welcome. If the Zion Curtain is not present then it is considered a bar and children are not allowed. Also, to go off on a slight tangent here, if the business has the Zion Curtain then you must order food before you can be served any alcohol.

Never heard of a Zion Curtain. I envision all the curious children trying to catch a glimpse of what goes on behind the "Zion Curtain". Kinda like when you use to sneak into your dad's Playboy collection... Wait maybe that was just me. So how does one interact with the bartender with a huge wall in between?
tl-horizontal_main

Never heard of a Zion Curtain. I envision all the curious children trying to catch a glimpse of what goes on behind the "Zion Curtain". Kinda like when you use to sneak into your dad's Playboy collection... Wait maybe that was just me. So how does one interact with the bartender with a huge wall in between?
tl-horizontal_main

HA! Gotta love Utah, hilarious! Is this Zion Curtain new? I was there years ago (5-6) and don't remember seeing them. I went to a few brewpubs in town, but don't think I saw any of those screens. I do remember having to pay a "membership fee" to get in somewhere and something about someone sponsoring me so I could get in and drink a beer without having to pay the "membership fee". I agree with an earlier statement, beautiful state, could never live there.

What's next, legalized prostitution... just as long as it's through a glory hole?

HA! Gotta love Utah, hilarious! Is this Zion Curtain new? I was there years ago (5-6) and don't remember seeing them. I went to a few brewpubs in town, but don't think I saw any of those screens. I do remember having to pay a "membership fee" to get in somewhere and something about someone sponsoring me so I could get in and drink a beer without having to pay the "membership fee". I agree with an earlier statement, beautiful state, could never live there.

What's next, legalized prostitution... just as long as it's through a glory hole?

I just read up on it. Apparently it's only for restaurants/bars who opened after 2009 so it must have gone into effect around the same time you were there or just after.

In addition, it seems as if they can't sell beer above 3.2% ABV as it must be purchased from a state liquor store. And I thought Pennsylvania laws were bad...

Normal Occurrence here in Tejas... Hell, I'm German descent, I learned to dance in a beer joint...

I just read up on it. Apparently it's only for restaurants/bars who opened after 2009 so it must have gone into effect around the same time you were there or just after.

In addition, it seems as if they can't sell beer above 3.2% ABV as it must be purchased from a state liquor store. And I thought Pennsylvania laws were bad...

I thought that 3.2% wasn't in effect anymore... but that's just what I though.

Wow. Just read through this entire thread. I keep thinking about Stripes.

Psycho: You just made the list, buddy. And I don't like nobody touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. Also, I don't like nobody touching me. Now, any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.

Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis.

In Texas, my kids can legally consume any alcohol I visually supervise them drink.
http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/laws/alcoholic_beverage_Code_referencing_minors.asp

My kids have been to many a beer joint and amazingly asked me about the loud, obnoxious 21+ dumbasses who were being rude. We left; and not only because I had my kids with me, but rather, I don't hang out with or around asshats. Beer joint lost business that day. I've also left places because of obnoxious unruly children. Owners lost business that day also. So, obnoxious and polite know no age limits.

+1 to my Aviation related brother...
Just visited Utah last week. The beer is indeed 3.2%. i did not visit a Liquor store... lol

tl-horizontal_main

Generally, there will just be a server that comes around to take your order. Most people just sit at a table because it is really awkward to sit with your nose to a wall. It makes me feel like I am in time out. Hahaha.

Haha! Yeah its fairly new. In 2009, they did away with the membership fees and to make sure there was a difference between a bar and a restaurant (now that there are no fees to differentiate them) the zion curtain was implemented.

Not sure.. Just going by what I was reading online.

WayFrae? Anyone else form Utah?

3.2% is indeed still in effect. Many people make this a bigger deal than it is, it is 3.2% alcohol by weight not by volume so it still comes out to be around 4% ABV. No beer can be sold in a grocery store unless it is at or below that percentage, also alcopop or wine coolers can no longer be sold in grocery stores here. Any other alcoholic beverage has to be bought at state-run liquor stores where the beer is not allowed to be refrigerated.

The 3.2% law is most annoying when you want a beer on tap. My favorite beer is a local double IPA by Squatters Beers called Hop Rising, it is 9% so on the rare occasion that a bar does have it they can only sell it by the bottle. I WANT IT ON TAP! I have been considering going out of state to buy a keg of it but it is illegal to smuggle alcohol into Utah, so if I got caught I would be out a keg and whatever the smuggling fine is!

Whenever I go out of state I make a point to go in to REAL liquor stores. They are huge! I recently visited my brother in Phoenix and he took me to a Total Wine store and it is amazing, aisles and aisles of beer and liquor and for dirt cheap compared to the state liquor stores here. A lot of beers at the liquor store here are close to $2 per 12 oz bottle after tax. The other day I bought 14 12 oz beers and 2 22 oz beers and it cost me $42.

P.S. Sorry if I kinda hijacked the thread.

That "Zion Curtain" looks like someone was slaughtered behind it. Jesus, that would be enough to scare me away if I was still a child!

Seriously though... "Zion Curtain"? The name is ridiculous and so is the premise. "Don't watch the sorcery behind the curtain. Nothing to see here." What's the purpose? So is drinking acceptable, but the act of making a drink isn't? I just don't follow the logic.

3.2% is indeed still in effect. Many people make this a bigger deal than it is, it is 3.2% alcohol by weight not by volume so it still comes out to be around 4% ABV. No beer can be sold in a grocery store unless it is at or below that percentage, also alcopop or wine coolers can no longer be sold in grocery stores here. Any other alcoholic beverage has to be bought at state-run liquor stores where the beer is not allowed to be refrigerated.

The 3.2% law is most annoying when you want a beer on tap. My favorite beer is a local double IPA by Squatters Beers called Hop Rising, it is 9% so on the rare occasion that a bar does have it they can only sell it by the bottle. I WANT IT ON TAP! I have been considering going out of state to buy a keg of it but it is illegal to smuggle alcohol into Utah, so if I got caught I would be out a keg and whatever the smuggling fine is!

Whenever I go out of state I make a point to go in to REAL liquor stores. They are huge! I recently visited my brother in Phoenix and he took me to a Total Wine store and it is amazing, aisles and aisles of beer and liquor and for dirt cheap compared to the state liquor stores here. A lot of beers at the liquor store here are close to $2 per 12 oz bottle after tax. The other day I bought 14 12 oz beers and 2 22 oz beers and it cost me $42.

P.S. Sorry if I kinda hijacked the thread.

Squaters! That's where I went and I was pretty sure I had a few stronger beers there. Does that mean you can get a bottle of their stronger beers, but not on tap?

We pretty regularly bring our nearly 2 year old to beer related things if under 21s are allowed. No one in California bats an eye.

Squaters! That's where I went and I was pretty sure I had a few stronger beers there. Does that mean you can get a bottle of their stronger beers, but not on tap?

I think Squatters is the best Utah brewery! Sorry, I should have clarified. If I remember correctly, beers on tap can be up to 5% or maybe 6% ABV, but yes you can get any of their stronger beers in a bottle but not on tap.

I think Squatters is the best Utah brewery! Sorry, I should have clarified. If I remember correctly, beers on tap can be up to 5% or maybe 6% ABV, but yes you can get any of their stronger beers in a bottle but not on tap.

This is ringing a bell. I was there for training with about 10-12 other people from around the US. None of us being from Utah, we sat and asked the server to explain the crazy laws and the whole draft vs bottle ABV thing is what I seem to remember.

Crazy state!

I take my kids to the brew pub in Town quite often. Most of the time it is an adult who acts up and not the kids. I have had people make a point of coming over to our table on their way out so they can tell us how well behaved our kids are.

As many have pointed out already, it's not the kids that are the problem it is the adults. Most of the time I find that the bratty kids that I do see once in a while in restaurants are sitting at the table with some obnoxious adults. They learn rude behavior from somewhere.

I take my kids to the brew pub in Town quite often. Most of the time it is an adult who acts up and not the kids. I have had people make a point of coming over to our table on their way out so they can tell us how well behaved our kids are.

As many have pointed out already, it's not the kids that are the problem it is the adults. Most of the time I find that the bratty kids that I do see once in a while in restaurants are sitting at the table with some obnoxious adults. They learn rude behavior from somewhere.

Agree. We went with our kids and their kids (ages 4 and 2) to an Irish bar (for dinner, not drinks) on St. Patty's Sat.. By late afternoon, the pub was packed and overflowing out the door. We had reservations, but the only table available for a group our size was right next to the bar. Typically high-energy (loud) and good-natured St. Patty's Day revelry was going on mere a couple feet from us, but no one acted stupid or gross. And everyone at our table had great food and a good time. It wouldn't have been our or our kids' preference to have been seated in the middle of the festivities, mainly because it was difficult to hear each other and carry on a conversation, but the grandkids, if they were paying attention at all to what was going on around them (which I doubt they were), acted as happy and normal and well-behaved as if they were home or anywhere else. That's usually a sign of feeling safe and secure, which no matter where you are, is the most important thing for them.

Took my niece and SIL to Great Divide and no one cared to even notice her. She was only 6 months, in a stroller, asleep or quiet. She went on the tour, we sat outside for an hour or two drinking a couple pints. Would do it again no worries. Also have seen children in Blue Pants up in Huntsville, AL. If they have food, its a restaurant...it is no different than anywhere else.

Back