SO4 - High Gravity Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garmoni

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew a high gravity imperial stout and wondering if I would run into any alcohol tollerance issues with SO4. The recipe projects ABV to be just over 11%.

What volume is your batch size and what is the method? Five gallons (or more) and all grain, partial mash, or extract?

First off, if you're considering using a yeast starter on a high gravity brew, it would be a good idea to do so. Beers can easily be made using sugar additions to boost ABV but you will need healthy, vigorous yeast and some aging time for your beer to balance out the alcohol levels.
Another method to boost ABV would be to make stepped additions of boiled extract or wort at specific points during the fermentation so your yeast could handle the extra sugar levels without faltering, leaving you with a higher final gravity than you planned (stalled fermentation).

Last edited:
What volume is your batch size and what is the method? Five gallons (or more) and all grain, partial mash, or extract?

First off, if you're considering using a yeast starter on a high gravity brew, it would be a good idea to do so. Beers can easily be made using sugar additions to boost ABV but you will need healthy, vigorous yeast and some aging time for your beer to balance out the alcohol levels.
Another method to boost ABV would be to make stepped additions of boiled extract or wort at specific points during the fermentation so your yeast could handle the extra sugar levels without faltering, leaving you with a higher final gravity than you planned (stalled fermentation).

Making a starter from dry yeast isn't recommended but it is usually cheap enough to just buy another pack or 2. Make sure to rehydrate the dry yeast before pitching into this high gravity brew. S04 yeast is recommended for beers up to 10% alcohol so your projected 11% is just outside its range. It might not attenuate fully.

If for some reason you only have one pack of yeast then there is no issue with a starter provided you do a big starter.
I did a 3L starter with intetmittant shaking only and decanted off the beer when it was done then pitched the yeast and the beer came out great.
Down here even dry yeast is not that cheap and I needed more via courier so i went with a starter. Mine was a mangrove jacks yeast but sould be fine on all most yeasts.

Ferment it cold.. that much sugar and a even a modestly warm ferment will produce a not so awesome beer with S04.

Latest posts

Back