So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about firing the kettle and doing a honey blonde, might also get ambitious and do a golden strong or a hoppy steam style beer.

I'm doing a batch of enohcs Award Winning American IPA. I'm going to use Wyeast Burton IPA Blend yeast since it was available @ my LHBS.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I found frozen strawberries for $4.39/2lb package at Food Lion...bought 3 pkgs. I think I will do them all at flameout and skip secondary, unless someone convinces me that I'm going to ruin it or something! Keeping it simple, tweak future batches if this one indicates I should. What do you think? "Hello", in my PM I asked if you were going to do some without strawberries...I should have reviewed here first ...I see you addressed that. What is "Denny's Favorite yeast"? What's the expectation from it?

For the yeast it says this, "This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any beer style, and is a mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and accentuates the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuated."

So basically I thought it would really enjoy the fruit. The other half will be unadulterated blonde. I'm excited. I have to ghetto rig my setup but I'm doing it!

Doing my last batch for awhile tomorrow (baby due 4 weeks from Sunday)...going to wake up and create a recipe with what is on hand to use it up. Then I will pack up anything I don't need to bottle or keg the batch and put it in storage...aka my parents house, I live in the city and babies have a ton of stuff! Need to make room

Sent from my HTCONE using Home Brew mobile app

Doing my last batch for awhile tomorrow (baby due 4 weeks from Sunday)...going to wake up and create a recipe with what is on hand to use it up. Then I will pack up anything I don't need to bottle or keg the batch and put it in storage...aka my parents house, I live in the city and babies have a ton of stuff! Need to make room

Congrats!
Babies take a lot of time, but don't forget, you can extract brew in a two hours or so. It may take additional planning to brew with kids, but it can be done.

For the yeast it says this, "This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any beer style, and is a mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and accentuates the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuated."

So basically I thought it would really enjoy the fruit. The other half will be unadulterated blonde. I'm excited. I have to ghetto rig my setup but I'm doing it!
I did a little Googling and the way it's described as working with fruit beers is interesting. I wonder if I should switch from the one in the recipe...have to go look at that again.

Congrats!
Babies take a lot of time, but don't forget, you can extract brew in a two hours or so. It may take additional planning to brew with kids, but it can be done.

Thanks! I am obviously super excited and while I know I can make the time..I live in Boston in a big yet still one bedroom place and as of now committed to keep the place bucket and carboy free for my wifes sake...two weeks ago I had two buckets a carboy and 50 bottles tucked in a corner. That space now has a rocker? Not sure the proper name... A pack n play and a yet to be unpacked carseat, massive swing and misc other baby items.

Brewing the pre-prohibition lager that is in this months Popular Mechanics and a Mango IPA tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew Talk while driving.

Hopefully I'll be brewing Sunday and taking advantage of the nice weather. All depends on if my hops come in the mail tomorrow. Fingers crossed

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I found frozen strawberries for $4.39/2lb package at Food Lion...bought 3 pkgs. I think I will do them all at flameout and skip secondary, unless someone convinces me that I'm going to ruin it or something! Keeping it simple, tweak future batches if this one indicates I should. What do you think? "Hello", in my PM I asked if you were going to do some without strawberries...I should have reviewed here first ...I see you addressed that. What is "Denny's Favorite yeast"? What's the expectation from it?

I always do fruit in secondary with 1/2 lb lactose. See succulent strawberry blonde thread as that recipe and yeast work well from my experience. I've added orange peel and lemon peel during the boil on a few occasions.

I had planned on brewing this weekend, but forgot about the boss having invited me to a baking convention. So, it's pushed back to next weekend.

Just weighed out the grains for a mild to be brewed tomorrow. Now they are in the fridge conditioning for grinding tonight.

Bottled my Kiwi Mango Wit earlier this morning. Came out really nice: smooth, mango-tropical fruit taste, crisp clean finish. Can't wait to see how this matures in conditioning.

Just weighed out the grains for a mild to be brewed tomorrow. Now they are in the fridge conditioning for grinding tonight.

Bottled my Kiwi Mango Wit earlier this morning. Came out really nice: smooth, mango-tropical fruit taste, crisp clean finish. Can't wait to see how this matures in conditioning.

This sounds fantastic. Mind sharing the recipe?

Sent from my HTC One

Here goes:

Kiwi-Mango iFruity Witbier:
(Sorry folks, this is in metric...)

Batch Size: 10L BIAB
Efficiency: 75%
Color: 3.7 SRM
Bitterness: 14.8 IBU (Tinseth)
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.007

Boil Time: 90 min

Grain bill:

2-row Pale Ale: 1.24 kg (66.7%)
Flaked Wheat: 0.37 kg (19.9%
Table Sugar: 0.25 kg (13.4%) added post boil

Mash at 153F for 60 minutes
Batch sparge at 168F

Hops:

2 g HBC 342 at 60 minutes
2 g Mosaic at 60 minutes
5 g Citra at 5 minutes
3 g Mosaic at 5 minutes

0.6 g Irish Moss at 15 minutes

Yeast: WY1762 (Belgian Abbey II)

Fermented in primary 16 days
Transferred into secondary along with:

2 Kiwis
1 ripe Mango

Cut fruit up into fine pieces and mash with potato masher until it is soupy
Add 20 g 100 proof Vodka

Place in sanitized container and freeze for 5 days
Thaw completely before adding to secondary
Secondary for 10 days

Prime with table sugar to 2.8 vols CO2

I was going to dry hop for 4 days with HBC 342 and Citra, but when I opened the carboy, the mango smell was so strong that I skipped this step.

Let me know if you decide to brew it, I'd be interested in your results.

Just getting started on a Dead Guy Ale clone. A bit of a late start today but thankfully no rush, no other plans to interfere.

So...I brewed the extract recipe (Strawberry) Blonde Ale. I used too much water in the process, though. I wound up with a little under 2 gallons of Plain Blonde in a small bucket and over 5 gallons of Strawberry Blonde in my main fermenter. I think the color and flavor are good...but the OG is only 1.034, instead of 1.046 and I'm wondering if I should add some sugar or corn sugar to boost the SG?

IMAG2644.jpg

Sugar will kill any "soft" flavor of the strawberries AND the ale. As brew_ny said, use LME or DME, OR Brew a small batch of 1.060, (2 gallon) and blend it. I did a Irish Stout a few years ago that was like syrup, I turned it into a Black & Tan by brewing a weak batch of lager and blending it. It was fantastic!

I did a Pale Ale yesterday. All was good but I had some unusual boiling. Turns out I fried the burner on the stove, upon closer inspection I also fried the burner socket. It came very close to a 240 volt Pale Ale!

No beer brewing this weekend, but I am kegging a batch of IPA that I threw together with some leftover ingredients. Also putting together another batch of Apfelwein for the wife and our first shot at Joe's Ancient Orange mead!

Brewed 10 gal of a hoppy American wheat ala Modern Times Fortunate Island. Went well. Looking forward to the half pound citra dry hop.

Brewing my first wheat beer Tom. Morning. I'm getting everything ready, and it seems like a lot of orange peel when I look at it. Is 2 oz sweet peel too much?

10 gallons

14 lb 2 row
1lb 8oz roasted barley
1lb 8oz crystal 60
3lb chocolate malt
1lb 8oz Munich malt
1lb 4oz flaked barley
1lb flaked oats
2lb lactose
.7oz magnum 60 min
2oz goldings 10 min

2pkg California ale

In the fermenters and bubbling away... Can't wait. Wish I had a nitro tap

corn sugar and sugar will dry it out, DME/LME might be better

unless you want it dry :)

S_M

I'm looking for a moderate strawberry flavor. Dry is okay, but I don't want it bone dry. Mainly, I just want to up the ABV about a percentage point. Blending in another batch makes sense, but I have about 7-1/2 gallons already and I don't want to go through a whole brew process again this weekend...I still have bottling to do. LME/DME MIGHT do it...going to look into that option...thanks!!!

Prepping the brew room tonight for a all day brew day in the morning.
5 gal of stout 6.5%
5 gal of our triple IPA 7.7%
And a 10 gal double decoction triple hoped BLACK IPA shooting for a high 9%
And it's bottling day as well for our last 10 gal batch...
Fun fun fun

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Terek

I just toss the fresh zest of 2-3 oranges or tangerines into the wort with 5 minutes left in the boil etc instead of using dried peel. Did this in my Acadian Satsuma Saison last week. Have a hot pad around the fermenter now.

Brewing my Hip Hop Anonymous American IPA in the morning

:fro:

I'm brewing the NB Bavarian hefeweizen kit. I upgraded some equipment so to sofeten the blow I'm brewing this for the old lady.:mug:

I'm brewing the NB Bavarian hefeweizen kit. I upgraded some equipment so to sofeten the blow I'm brewing this for the old lady.:mug:

You are a smart man. Before we moved from the back room to the shed, my brew buddy and I both made our old lady's 5 gal of Hefeweizen and 5 gal of Hard Cider.
This "special" gift gave us the green light on taking over the family shed...
Cheers

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Honeydukes English Mild finished and chilled. Letting the trub settle before pouring it into the carboy. Almost time to dead out to bring in some wood before the cold snap end of this coming week.

Here goes:

Kiwi-Mango iFruity Witbier:
(Sorry folks, this is in metric...)

Batch Size: 10L BIAB
Efficiency: 75%
Color: 3.7 SRM
Bitterness: 14.8 IBU (Tinseth)
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.007

Boil Time: 90 min

Grain bill:

2-row Pale Ale: 1.24 kg (66.7%)
Flaked Wheat: 0.37 kg (19.9%
Table Sugar: 0.25 kg (13.4%) added post boil

Mash at 153F for 60 minutes
Batch sparge at 168F

Hops:

2 g HBC 342 at 60 minutes
2 g Mosaic at 60 minutes
5 g Citra at 5 minutes
3 g Mosaic at 5 minutes

0.6 g Irish Moss at 15 minutes

Yeast: WY1762 (Belgian Abbey II)

Fermented in primary 16 days
Transferred into secondary along with:

2 Kiwis
1 ripe Mango

Cut fruit up into fine pieces and mash with potato masher until it is soupy
Add 20 g 100 proof Vodka

Place in sanitized container and freeze for 5 days
Thaw completely before adding to secondary
Secondary for 10 days

Prime with table sugar to 2.8 vols CO2

I was going to dry hop for 4 days with HBC 342 and Citra, but when I opened the carboy, the mango smell was so strong that I skipped this step.

Let me know if you decide to brew it, I'd be interested in your results.

Thanks. I'll definitely let you know. It'll probably be a summer brew.

Back